Can anybody suggest an Inshore conventional rod w/o a trigger seat?

Started by the rockfish ninja, July 05, 2016, 06:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the rockfish ninja

I love the new light inshore rods on the market these days but I have an issue with trigger grips due to physical problems with my right index finger, nothing I can do about it.  I have a lamiglass  TFX7830C, it's an older inshore rod that has a regular seat without a trigger that is perfect but is showing some signs of wear and I'd like to find something like it as Lamiglass stopped producing it and all their new inshore rods have trigger grips.

I looked around at most of the other manufacturers and they all seem to have gone that way because most anglers use low profile reels and do a fair amount of casting, I will be pairing it with an Avet SXJ, using it for jigging at Pacific rockfish and lingcod primarily, don't need a trigger for this and it just gets in the way. That just seems to be how the market is, I really liked the cousins raze inshore rods, all triggers and they won't let me order one without. The only one so far that I have found is the shimano tallus, which looked like a nice piece but I wasn't compelled to purchase it for some reason.

I was hoping to find something off the rack and not have to spend the money for a custom Rod, any suggestions?
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

oc1

I don't like triggers either.  You might find a Tica rod that suits.
-steve

MarkT

The Teramar west coast inshore rods don't have trigger seats. Something like the TMC80MB.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

the rockfish ninja

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll look into the Tica but not a lot of shops stock them out here and I never buy rods online, too much of a "feel" thing for me when purchasing gear. so I have to touch it first.
As for the Shimano Teramar, I looked at those, the Tallus, and the Trevala, and I have to admit I was underwhelmed. They seem like they can do the job but for some reason I don't connect, they don't say to me "Buy me, take me home with you" like the Cousins or the Lamiglas I've looked at. They just all have triggers.

Maybe I should look at jigging rods although I did want a piece that was versatile enough to cast with also. I'm even considering getting one that has a trigger and cutting it down, not an appealing idea though.

Dominick

Quote from: the rockfish ninja on July 06, 2016, 05:28:48 PM

Maybe I should look at jigging rods although I did want a piece that was versatile enough to cast with also. I'm even considering getting one that has a trigger and cutting it down, not an appealing idea though.
Find a rod you like with the trigger and grind it off.  I did that with one of my rods and it looks fine.  If you have a Dremel with a wheel it will come off in a minute or two.  You can also buff it smooth so it won't show.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

the rockfish ninja

Yea I thought of that (cutting it) but wanted to avoid mutilating a brand new piece. Still a consideration though. ;)

oc1

The other option is to get a spinning rod.  Often the same blank is available as a spinner and conventional rod.  Spinning guides are cumbersome, but do not hinder and sometimes even improve casting performance with a conventional reel.  The Fuji concept method seems to have decreased the stripper guide size on many spinning rods.
-steve

SoCalAngler

Calstar 800 XL for up to 20 lb test or a 800 L for 25-30 lb test

Big Tim

My go to Ling cod jigging rod is this Tsunami with an MXJ reel. Lot's of back bone and I pulled in a few Yellowtail on the SOA charter as well. Lotta fun

Tim

http://www.srmo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=srmo&Screen=PROD&Category_Code=Trophy_Series&Product_Code=T101191

the rockfish ninja

Well I was lucky enough to find a new old stock Lami triflex yesterday just like my "go to" rod without a trigger at a great price, so I had to jump on it. I went to the Outdoor pro shop checked out everything they had and spend a couple hours looking at some of the suggestions but it was on clearance, so it all fell into place.

-oc1- Spinning guides give the most trouble on non-levelwind reels like mine (bunching up on one side of the spool if you forget to thumb guide it on the retrieve), plus most rods have a spine and working against them (in reverse/backwards whatever you want to call it) is never a good thing. I have switched the guides around to make a spinning rod a conventional but that's a lot of work.

-SCA- When I was there I looked at the Calstar rods, kickass stuff!!! A little beyond my price point, but really nice, like the Cousins stuff I was impressed.

-Big T- Wow that's a great price point on that type of rod, I haven't seen one in person because nobody around here stocks it but I'll keep an eye out for it. At that price it would be great even as a backup, if they're as good as their reviews.

Thanks for all the tips guys.