Newell G220-F

Started by monkutare, July 17, 2016, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkutare

My Newell 220 has a lot of play pulling out and in on the handle in the direction of the main shaft. All the sideplate screws are tight and it's the same with the drag tight or loose. There's around twice as much play as my other 220's and 229's. Any ideas what is causing this?

handi2

Hello,

Is the retaining screw or clip attached on the end of the sleeve? If it is you can slightly shim under the sleeve (main shaft). Not much or it will mess up the engagement of the anti reverse dogs. Or use a thicker C clip or a shim under the screw.

Newell Nut will chime in soon.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

SoCalAngler

Not sure what you mean by a lot? But, on my G220f I get .018" of movement on the shaft. As handi stated check the clip on top of the gear shaft holding it onto the post.

thinkwahoo

Pull the handle nut off to see if the C clip has slipped off.  If it's clipped on then you have a bigger problem with the spindle pulling out of the bridge plate.  If that's case then you have to gently spread the end of the spindle so it tightens up to the bottom of the bridge plate.

Newell Nut

I have notice gear sleeves vary in length by a few thou as well. All manufacturing has plus and minus tolerance and you may have one that hit on minus close enough to not get rejected. I have never know these to be a problem but it is annoying. Tom's new sleeves work really well.