Wood Storage

Started by foakes, August 06, 2016, 11:57:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Every wood shop has a problem with bits and pieces of good wood -- with where and how to store it...

I hate to toss out or burn red or white oak, birch, poplar, pine, or redwood.

So I had 3 or 4 messy and basically hard to find when I needed -- piles of wood in my downstairs and upstairs shops.

What a mess!

So I decided to make a horizontal rack for long stock of DF, Pine, Redwood, etc..

Then underneath would be pieces of leftover plywood, tongue and groove, etc..

Smaller sticks would go in three large barrels.

Then in one of my downstairs shops -- I keep all of the red and white oak, birch, poplar, walnut -- basically hardwoods for projects -- under a 10' bench.  

Worked out pretty well, for now anyway.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

I'm like you Fred. Wood is like gold and I hate to part with any odd or scrap piece or any piece for that matter. There always seems to be a use for it. Gracie always complains about wood being stacked in every corner of the basement.  Looks great and the barrels are an excellent idea and simple too!
Now I'm getting into another problem and that's storage for plastic and steel. I have been told that I've taken over the downstairs area.
I have no idea why she would say that? Ha!
Have a great evening,  ..  Lou

foakes

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on August 07, 2016, 12:23:22 AM
Now I'm getting into another problem and that's storage for plastic and steel.

For your acrylic, plastic pieces, and metals -- this is a lot of bang for the buck -- and it is very versatile.

Vertical, accessible, moveable, and big -- are good combinations, Lou...

Plus, you can just pull out a bin, then take it over to your work area -- return it to the rack when done.

Best,

Fred

http://www.walmart.com/ip/37457390?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227027099423&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=43538463872&wl4=pla-83259376592&wl5=1013562&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=37457390&wl13=&veh=sem

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

STRIPER LOU

I like it Fred and I've got a $100. gift card for Walmart I haven't used. Thanks!

David Hall

When I grow up I hope I get just one work station dialled in!
It wouldn't surprise me to find out you have a license to store nuclear material somewhere Fred!

Dominick

David, Fred applied for the license but it was denied, so he just keeps the stuff in a lead container in the back of the wood shed.   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

handi2

Fred I have those shelving units with different sizes of containers. They store large parts.

You would have a fit in my place!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

foakes

Those are exactly what I was referring to with Lou, Keith.

That is what pros use for many applications with effective parts and material management.

When we see a professional operation like Keith's -- we realize a few things:

Everything should be accessible both to finding it quickly -- locating the item -- then returning the bin.

If we create more mess and havoc by trying to locate a part -- we have just multiplied our time and effort for the next job.

For me, it is effective to just pull out a bin that may have multiple smaller open categories inside of it -- take it to the bench if necessary -- then it works, and makes sense.

Growing up around automotive parts departments -- the effective and profitable operations have these qualities.

Plus, with the casters -- the area can be cleaned or reorganized much easier.

If we don't have time to do it right -- no one to blame except the guy in the mirror.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

handi2

On the top row of bins is new Penn parts. Reel seats, bridges, drag stars, Motive Inserts, plus others. Below the bins it starts to get messy. I need one month for cleanup.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL