Carbontex Under Gear Washer

Started by handi2, February 23, 2016, 11:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 24, 2016, 04:04:22 AM
I was actually experimenting with no washer under the gear.
A couple of years back I was having a conversation with Aaron, ( Reel Speed ) and he led me to these disk bearing. These could take lots of load and still rotate smoothly

The problem, they would require lots of maintenance.

Cool!! :o These would actually take the load? I'd expect it to bind when the drag was cranked down. Why so maintenance prone? Because it's an open cage?
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Yes Mo, that is one of the main reason, lots of dirt collects there. The other reason is that the bearing doesn't give enough clearance with the main gear and plate. If you look close, I had to machine the bottom of that gear, that is something that most wouldn't be willing to do.

If you want to go ahead and give it a shot on your reel, I will help showing you where to get the parts, but won't be able to machine the main gear for you, I got rid of my lathe.

Honestly though, the Delrin is doing very good for us, I would let this one go.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Makule

Where's a good place to get the Delrin washers?  I need them for 114, 116, and 117.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

USN_ED

Quote from: RowdyW on February 24, 2016, 12:23:16 AM
That's why I would rather use the original hard fiber washer that Penn designed to use in their reels. I'm not against the new delrin washers that are being used lately. They are hard and won't compress like the CF washers. I never believed in the CF for under gear washers.     RUDY

I'm with you on that Rudy.  I'm in the process of rebuilding a 60 Long Beach and elected to use a hard fiber washer under the main gear - just for the reason shown in the OP's picture and your reasoning.  I ordered new drag parts before I had my reel broken down but as you can see by the new parts shown below the old parts, I ordered and am using a new hard fiber washer again.

ED