Magnesium body reel touch up?

Started by DavidKa, July 06, 2016, 11:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidKa

Hi there.
Received Shimano Mag. body reel and when opened, found some protective coating scuffs between the body and a cover. Bare metal could be seen 'round the screw slots.
It's a very tricky area and too much paint will be a problem.

I suppose the original coating is powder-type(?)
For now I have tried black Hammerite. It's too soft/rubbery and thin. The first coat is transparent, the second one is too much.
Also tried a mix of slow-setting superglue and Tamiya black paint. Very nice - sticky, not glass-like BUT pretty hard. The problem - it's not thin enough...

So some sort of receipt for something "sticky" and thin would be really appreciated!

Tiddlerbasher

DavidKa

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on July 07, 2016, 10:23:09 AM
Grease :-\
Grease for sure but is it enough? I'm a bit paranoid about mag. body and saltwater :P

STRIPER LOU

I have been using Corrosion X grease on my wire line reels with aluminum spools. For me, I've found it to be one of the best and it pretty much prevents corrosion altogether!
.................Lou

DavidKa

Quote from: STRIPER LOU on July 07, 2016, 02:08:41 PM
I have been using Corrosion X grease on my wire line reels with aluminum spools. For me, I've found it to be one of the best and it pretty much prevents corrosion altogether!
.................Lou
ReelX that what I'm using right now.

After all I decided to give a second chance to cyanoacrylate/paint mix I "invented" and it holds pretty well.
Also it's very hard to apply and should be accurately sanded after that.