DAIWA GRANDWAVE -X 40SHV - ROUGH RETRIEVE

Started by Cor, July 09, 2016, 09:18:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

I have a Daiwa Grandwave -X 40SHV or at least I think that is what it is according to my records.   I probably purchased it early 2000's.    If I remember correctly Daiwa sometime changed the model number of these reels or perhaps there were some other variants?  The only markings on the reel is PE6?-400m (the ? could be some Japanese mark) and the name which usually appears on the left side plate has been worn away.    At the bottom of the right side plate it has JAPAN engraved.   See photo, can anyone confirm from the this number that it is in fact the Grandwave -X 40SHV, it looks like it in every other respect.
I have a newer one, but it does not have those numbers.

Using the Grandwave -X 40SHV schematic I see that it has a bush  Key 47 B73-8001,  whereas I have a bearing.   It is possible that I replaced it some years ago but doubt it.   

My problem is that the gears were very rough and grinding, the reel has worked a lot.    I now replaced them, but they still grind a bit which I find unusual.   I have done quite a bit of fault finding and I now see that the bearing  Key 47 B73-8001  seems a slightly high and not flush with its seat.       It is a 7X14X4   and I now think it requires a 7X14X3.5.
Could raising the whole drive shaft assembly by 0.5mm cause the gears to feel that way?
Cornelis

Cor

I can answer one of my questions myself now.   

During the afternoon I again opened the reel and replaced the Key 47 B73-8001, bush/bearing with a thinner  7X14X3.5 and that 0.5mm made a significant difference to the feel of the reel.   It is now at a point where I coud live with it if I wanted to.

But I also noticed a new thing, when in freespool, there is too much resistance when turning the handle which I did not notice earlier.   The drag stack has an extra washer, so possibly that is where I need to look.

Will post my findings.
Cornelis

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cor

Quote from: alantani on July 10, 2016, 04:24:16 AM
Usually bearings first,  then gears!
Thanks Allan, usually first things I check and replace as I like my reels smooth, they don't need to look so nice, but work so nice!

The problem I ended up with was that I could feel that there was too much pressure or something on the gears, but much worse when it was in free spool.    So the pinion was not disengaging from the main gear, but was disengaging from the spool and causing a grinding feeling......horrible!
I compared it with another similar reel, checked and re checked and must have dismantled it more then 12 times and could not find anything that was causing the issue.   As I am sure you all know, when the damn thing is assembled you can not see what is causing it and you need both parts  together to be able to test it properly.

Here is the embarrassing bit.......
Sometime last night the penny dropped, and I knew where to look.
I had turned the Bushing A, Key 21 Part F73-3201 around.   The lip on the bushing must face outward towards the gears!
This is actually visible on the Schematic as well.

These reels have never been the smoothest around, but I hope someone else will learn from my mistake
Cornelis