Opinions on this Acrylic shape?

Started by STRIPER LOU, July 28, 2016, 10:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

Had a customer come in the other day looking for a handle, so I showed him what I had available. And, he didn't like any of them.
Got out the my personnel stash and he just about yanked the gold one out of my hand! I don't know the brand but its NOS and no longer made. I think Randy Pauly once told me but I've long forgotten. I'm ready to install on his reel and he doesn't want the knob, just wants the handle.
OK

He then decides he wants the same style knob but in the Acrylic and is not happy when I tell him I have nothing like it. Well he says, you've got the machinery and I have the money. OK. The color picked was a brand new shade and almost has a look of burly wood with an occasional red stripe in it. I remember ordering 6 pcs and getting 1 from the supplier.

Spent most of the day playing with the shape and increased the length by 1/4" and the dia by 1/16" and thinking about increasing the dia about another 3/32". This type is going to be for Jigmaster and I'm going to fool with one for the 4/0.

Was wondering what you think. I know a lot of people want the angeled Tbars and they take at least an additional 3 hrs over the round knobs and I'm trying to get that down. This style might be and alternative in the meantime and it looks like I can save at least an hours time making this type.

The gentleman called this afternoon and I figured he wanted his knob ASAP but was surprised when he wanted to order 3 reels. Someone referred him to me and looks like it may turn in to a good customer.
Maybe slightly impatient though! I guess none of us are perfect and that's what makes the world go round.
Look forward to your comments.
Regards,  ..  Lou

RiverAngler

I love that shape, Lou. That is what I would order if I could. The T-Bars are nice and I would order one if I could get one, but the bigger center drilled handle like the one in the pic is PERFECT for my small hamfists.

Ralph

P.S. Color is outrageous!
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Reel 224

Lou; for my money that color and shape are the cats azz. I have to be honest though, when I first saw the acrylic knobs I wasn't that crazy over them, but this color IMO is very rich looking and the shape is very appealing.

Joe  
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

Bryan Young

That's beautiful and great shape Lou.  I love angled T-bars, but for a straight T-bar, I think that's perfect.  Hope this customer relationship become very lucrative for you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

thorhammer

yeah Lou, I can well see why he is impatient...

Big Tim

Lou, that's a negative. Please send it to me for proper disposal  ;D I like it.

BT

steelhead_killer

><)))">

Bill B

Lou the shape looks good, but (here it comes) the other knobs have two rings on each end does your customer expect those rings? Myself I would like to have those rings for extra grip.....jmo....otherwise the color is exceptional and looks great!    Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

Lou - Very nice color combination!

Sal passed on one of the handles/arms to me and it is really nice on the Jigmaster sized reels, I would say in shallower waters and lighter drag settings it is perfect!  I have found that at 15+ lbs of drag and 150ft + water depths it just doesn't allow your hand to really torque down for the long haul.

We are all really enjoying watching this hobby Lou, thanks for posting the design steps as well  ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

STRIPER LOU

Thanks for all the comments, they're really appreciated. I can use a lot of the idea's to improve them as I go along!  Bill as far as the 4 grooves he didn't want them. Certainly can be done though. I also looked at the 24-349H Penn handle (113H) and its smooth.
They rely on the shape to give you the needed grip.

Dan, I understand what you saying.  I increased the size of the knob and modified the shape but its still a WIP. Also that particular red handled knob has a very broad radius which really doesn't do much to improve the gripping power. To help increase the gripping capabilities I cut mine with 2 angles and a blend radius. It is a definite improvement.

Its kind of a crude method for testing but I set up a rod and reel as you would for testing drag capabilities. With the rod under strain I tested both handles and I could feel the difference in my handle over the other. Of course its impossible to take every little thing into consideration as everyone's hands are different, but, for me it was pretty simple and the Acrylic felt better.

The other constraints are the material sizes and availability. A few have expressed they would like to see the round knobs made larger. Once you get over a certain material size it becomes a special order and the price is tough to swallow. I wanted to order some last week and was hoping if I ordered enough I would get a break. Not so! They're actually going to go up on the price so no matter what you make it has to fall in to the constraints of the material available.

Lastly, any one which is not a knob style has to go into the mill. I also had to make a fixture to handle the counter bore. Unfortunately this adds time and cost to the job.

When I decide what works I make a BP but basically you end up with a Custom Knob and no 2 are exactly the same.

Please keep the comments coming and thanks again.
Regards,  ..  Lou

Rothmar2

Personally love a T-bar, and this one is superb. Can fully appreciate the effort that goes into producing these, with the level of finish you do. These are worth every cent (and more!).

Aiala

I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

the rockfish ninja

Shape looks fine but the color is SMASHING!!! ;D
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

This is going to cut into your fishing time!