Travel trolling rod recommendation request

Started by Nuvole, May 18, 2016, 05:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuvole

Life is so much dramatic and contradicting.

I started off doing on the job fishing with handline during year 2007 in Korea with some very basic 50lb nylon and lure.
Till the plastic handline spool finally gave up and burst.
It was not just about the fresh meat I brought for the ship, but the joy and little interesting thingy to keep life going on our rather long voyage.

Then I learn to upgrade myself. Trolling rod, heavy reel and I even tried those big Alvey reel using them as handline spool.
And here I am today, learning to use handline all from scratch again lolz.

conchydong

Tightlines667

Here is some non-coated braided nylon handline...

https://honolulu.craigslist.org/big/boa/5574366575.html

Some guys use heavuer braided spectra, and some use a stiffer, coated cordage.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Apart from the handline suggestion: just caucht a 240 lb bft on a pinnacle john volmer travelrod.  60-100 stand up thpe rod with bent butt.

They are not stock items. He will make one if you whisch.

Only travelrod that i have not broken is this one and i broke a few

Nuvole

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on May 30, 2016, 10:13:27 PM
Apart from the handline suggestion: just caucht a 240 lb bft on a pinnacle john volmer travelrod.  60-100 stand up thpe rod with bent butt.

They are not stock items. He will make one if you whisch.

Only travelrod that i have not broken is this one and i broke a few

Mind post some picture of the rod pls...
My luggage can only fit in around 25".

Reinaard van der Vossen

Nuvole,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

This is my rod, I have both a short bent butt and a short straight butt. This is the 60-100 pinnacle marine The longest part is 72 cm (the piece with the foregrip)

I also have one in 30-80. The ferule is the same but on a slightly different location. Therefore the longest piece is the topsection with 70 cm

Do not think the 30-80 is a weak rod though. I,ve pulled a garage dragtest 2 days ago with the 30-80 and although I do not recommend it I was able to max out the 50 lb drag scale under a 45 degree pull. It will be significantly less under 90 degrees (straight down) but I was tilting the cubboard where the drag scale was tied to

It is a kind of "don't try this at home" situation but it is not a weak stick for sure.

I need a bigger boat and a stronger dragscale ;D

I know the 30-80 was originally designed to fit behind the cair of helicopterpilots going to offshore platforms. Maybe they can make it shorter

Nuvole

Quote from: Reinaard van der Vossen on June 26, 2016, 12:53:09 PM
Nuvole,

Sorry for the delay in reply.

This is my rod, I have both a short bent butt and a short straight butt. This is the 60-100 pinnacle marine The longest part is 72 cm (the piece with the foregrip)

I also have one in 30-80. The ferule is the same but on a slightly different location. Therefore the longest piece is the topsection with 70 cm

Do not think the 30-80 is a weak rod though. I,ve pulled a garage dragtest 2 days ago with the 30-80 and although I do not recommend it I was able to max out the 50 lb drag scale under a 45 degree pull. It will be significantly less under 90 degrees (straight down) but I was tilting the cubboard where the drag scale was tied to

It is a kind of "don't try this at home" situation but it is not a weak stick for sure.

I need a bigger boat and a stronger dragscale ;D

I know the 30-80 was originally designed to fit behind the cair of helicopterpilots going to offshore platforms. Maybe they can make it shorter

Thanks for the recommendation, this is definitely on my shopping list.
Is the rod custom made or as-built? I'm asking because I find roller guide rather high maintenance.

Nuvole

Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 18, 2016, 06:41:03 PM
I spent a lot of days trolling for Pelagic species off of commercial vessels that generally would not stop for a fish.  I started out using a unlimited class stubbie and a 130 class reel, but after getting spooled by Marlin, and seeing the gear get beat up on the working boat environment,  I switched to handlines.

You may want to consider the same.  I spliced surgical tubing inplace and used straight 200lb mono with double crimps and flemson loops.  Ocassionally, when trolling larger baits where Marlin were possible, I would rig in a 30lb weak link with a backup of rope.  I only landed one Marlin on the handlines gear though, so I switched back to straight mono, and smaller baits.  If a large Marlin picked it up, the hook would just bend or break, or a crimp would fail, and I'd lose the bait.  The handline gear worked great for football tuna, skipjack, wahoo, and mahi. 

Otherwise you may want to consider an unlimited stubbie rod, with a removable unibutt.  This would give you a strong rod, that could be broken down to a little over 3ft overall length.

Pinnicle, Xcaliber, or Chaos offer stubbies...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17622.0

Or try another custom build.

John

Hi John,

"Commercial vessels trolling" is what I am into. I first get some chinese kevlar kite line to try as handline, and found them rather useless...
I now manage to get hold of two spool of 200lb Ashaway tuna leader(with s/h 70 over buck).

Question: I usually pay out around 130m(142yrd) of line trolling on vessel 60m(200 foot). The volume of the tuna cord spool 137 yard is rather big.
What's would you recommend for line out on a 200 footer @ 8 knots?

Swami805

I'm an arborist and we use a cord about the same size as tuna cord to set our ropes in the trees. To store it we use a  cube that collapses and folds flat that keeps it nice and neat. It would fit in a suitcase no trick and leaders and lures could be kept in there as well. Just coil the line in and you're set. If you're going the hand line route check it out.  Arborist supply outfits pretty much anywhere would have them, they don't cost that much and the ones we use are very durable.
Good luck, sounds like a great way to break up a mind numbing boat ride. Sheridan
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Tightlines667

Quote from: Nuvole on July 29, 2016, 04:28:41 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on May 18, 2016, 06:41:03 PM
I spent a lot of days trolling for Pelagic species off of commercial vessels that generally would not stop for a fish.  I started out using a unlimited class stubbie and a 130 class reel, but after getting spooled by Marlin, and seeing the gear get beat up on the working boat environment,  I switched to handlines.

You may want to consider the same.  I spliced surgical tubing inplace and used straight 200lb mono with double crimps and flemson loops.  Ocassionally, when trolling larger baits where Marlin were possible, I would rig in a 30lb weak link with a backup of rope.  I only landed one Marlin on the handlines gear though, so I switched back to straight mono, and smaller baits.  If a large Marlin picked it up, the hook would just bend or break, or a crimp would fail, and I'd lose the bait.  The handline gear worked great for football tuna, skipjack, wahoo, and mahi. 

Otherwise you may want to consider an unlimited stubbie rod, with a removable unibutt.  This would give you a strong rod, that could be broken down to a little over 3ft overall length.

Pinnicle, Xcaliber, or Chaos offer stubbies...

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=17622.0

Or try another custom build.

John

Hi John,

"Commercial vessels trolling" is what I am into. I first get some chinese kevlar kite line to try as handline, and found them rather useless...
I now manage to get hold of two spool of 200lb Ashaway tuna leader(with s/h 70 over buck).

Question: I usually pay out around 130m(142yrd) of line trolling on vessel 60m(200 foot). The volume of the tuna cord spool 137 yard is rather big.
What's would you recommend for line out on a 200 footer @ 8 knots?

Sounds like you've got the right stuff there.  I would consider splicing/knotting in a piece of heavy surgical tubing as a shock absorber as well.  This helps with the hook set. 

As far as how much line you should run.. well that depends.  Every vessel has a different wake signature, and you want to chose your baits and positioning to based on this and speed.  I found that running a large/noisy/flashy bait close off of the windward corner buried right in the first wave/white water was good.  I like to position a popping medium sized bait rigjt outside the wake on the 3rd or 4the wave back.  Then I ran a smaller/lazy/straight running lure (like a malolo head, or tuna clone or feather) way back in the center around where the white water from the wake starts to dissappeared, and you'very got some good/clean water.  You may need longer lines if you are high up off of the water. 

If I am in Albacore and/or Skipjack Tuna country, I might get fancy and run 5 or 7 lines all with small tuna clones, staggering them as opposing pairs on each wave.  Alot of fun when you get into Albacore, but you may need an a mate to lend a hand.

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Good luck!
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Reinaard van der Vossen

Nuvole,

I think its a kind of semi custom where they cut the solid fiberglass blank but i'm not sure about that