Old Vise Greased With Cal's

Started by foakes, July 29, 2016, 03:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Was given this old vise around 16-18 years ago.  

Kind of forgot about it when shopping for a new one, which I did not buy.

This was rusted solid -- and in an old bucket.

Soaked it, cleaned it, disassembled, wired off the rust -- reassembled with Cal's -- works perfectly.

It is a little 40 Babco labeled Oakland, California -- below that Made in Japan.

Opens to 5".

Seems to be of decent quality -- not a China Knock-Off.

It belonged to the father of my Sister-in-Law -- and likely dates to the early 60's because of the zip code.

I might give it a little more work -- but for now, it is fully functional, and shows a lot of character.

Not sure where to mount it -- maybe next to the old anvil.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RiverAngler

Fred that is a well made piece of shop equipment. Leave the original patina on it. That way you won't get PO'd if you scratch it. It's a heavy duty shop tool. after all, and looks classy just the way it sits next to your anvil.

Ralph
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

mo65

Great chunk of metal there Fred! I have an old Desmond Stephan made right here in Ohio. I got a kick out of you saying you greased it with Cal's...when so many folks on here talk about only using it for drags because of cost. A great vise deserves a great grease!  ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

theswimmer

Fred,
I'll help get rid of that boat anchor for you.
Just let me know when!
Best ,
Jonathan
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Fred, you have motivated me to clean my vise.

I purchased it at Sears, around 1985. After 30+ years of service, it deserves a little pampering  :) .

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.