A few new additions to my collection...

Started by Tightlines667, October 04, 2015, 12:50:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penn Chronology

the 4/0 box is killer. The first year 4/0 box is marked $17.50. The reel went up one dollar in its second year; but, Penn did not make new labels, all the did was make sticker to go over the old price. Under that sticker should be a price of $17.50.

Tightlines667

Quote from: Penn Chronology on April 20, 2016, 06:17:09 PM
the 4/0 box is killer. The first year 4/0 box is marked $17.50. The reel went up one dollar in its second year; but, Penn did not make new labels, all the did was make sticker to go over the old price. Under that sticker should be a price of $17.50.

Honestly.. this is the 1 piece of the four that I had my sights set on.  I was stoked to get all 4 pieces.  Now I am struggling with the prospect of dismantling that beautiful 9/0 to upgrade a first Gen 9/0, and pair it with the box... which should be correct for a second + year 9/0.  

I don't think I can bring myself to do it, plus some of the pretty chromed parts are not actually 100% correct for the first gen. 9/0.  

Maybe I will sell the reel, and the LB, but keep the stand bolts, clamp, brace, and tag?

Maybe I should just keep the package whole, since it has apparently been that way, unfished for nearly 70.

I will probably do the later.  
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Oceanreels

The parts from that reel are not correct for a first gen 9/0. Also with a price of $32.50 the box is not correct either.
  I hope you do nothing as you indicated, as doing things like this does nothing to help.
Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

sdlehr

Quote from: Oceanreels on April 20, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
The parts from that reel are not correct for a first gen 9/0. Also with a price of $32.50 the box is not correct either.
  I hope you do nothing as you indicated, as doing things like this does nothing to help.
The box for the 9/0 is '46-'50, and the reel is a second generation, which it should be for those years. I'm not following this discussion.... ??? The 4/0 box is '39-45 and should have come with a first generation reel, maybe second if later in that range... pretty sure that's correct...

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tightlines667

Quote from: sdlehr on April 20, 2016, 10:50:48 PM
Quote from: Oceanreels on April 20, 2016, 09:25:02 PM
The box for the 9/0 is '46-'50, and the reel is a second generation, which it should be for those years. I'm not following this discussion.... ??? The 4/0 box is '39-45 and should have come with a first generation reel, maybe second if later in that range... pretty sure that's correct...

Sid

Correct.

I intend to keep the 9/0 reel and box together in 'as found' condition. 

The 4/0 reel was missing, but will match up well with a 1939 4/0, if I ever find one for my senator grouping. 

I am interested in selling the ca. 1939 LB65, 300yd reel though. 

Sid,

You have first dibs.  Everything appears correct, except of course the pflueger thumb stall add on.  It would like you clean up well, though probably not as nice as this one of Ted's...

http://m.ebay.com/itm/151985989948

What do you guys think a reasonable current fair market/friend value would be on this reel?

John
Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 20, 2016, 11:06:52 PM

Sid,

You have first dibs.  Everything appears correct, except of course the pflueger thumb stall add on.  It would like you clean up well, though probably not as nice as this one of Ted's...

What do you guys think a reasonable current fair market/friend value would be on this reel?

John
Thanks, John. I'm interested, it will go nicely in my collection. Can you post up or send me more pics? The stand is stamped 300 yds? Looks like it will clean up nice! Is that a rosewood torpedo knob?

Thanks
Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

Sid,
Actually, this is a ca. 1939 LB66, with a stand stamped "400 yds".  The knob is wood colored plastic, and is slightly translucent in parts, under the right light.  It has a mushroom pin on the arbor.  

It seems to be in really good overall condition.  The clicker is loud, drag is smooth, gears are smooth, no marring or damage on any screws, and no noticable chips (except a microscopic one where the freespool lever contacts the side plate), wear, or scratches on the bakelight (except a few minor ones on the knob).  There is only a little minor plating loss (stand underside, spool arbor, and flanges near the arbor), and a few very small pock marks in the spool, and just some light crud/corrosion buildup around the bases of the posts.  This reel is in the best condition of any pre 1940 Penns that I own.

According to Mike's book the value is between $50 & $100 depending on condition.  Make me a reasonable offer, and I will package it up and ship it your way.

John
Hope springs eternal

sdlehr

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 20, 2016, 11:06:52 PM

Quote from: Tightlines666 on April 21, 2016, 04:57:59 AM
Sid,
Actually, this is a ca. 1939 LB66, with a stand stamped "400 yds".
OK, glad we got that straightened out :). It did clean up nicely. PM sent!

Sid
Sid Lehr

Tightlines667

My newest addition arrived today.  A NOS Pflueger Oceanic 1885, complete with Edward. K. Tryon Co. 910-912 Chestnut St. Phila. $3.75 tag., "Bearing Oil Feeder" tag, and a Pflueger thumb brake.  Not an uncommon or expensive reel, but NOS is cool.  The reel looks like it just came out of the box, despite being old.

I would appreciate any leads on the difficult to find correct box.

Also, is there anyway to nail down a date of manufacture on this one?*

*I believe this is a secind version (based on m9del numver appearing on the reel) wHicham were made ca. 1934-1957.

John
Hope springs eternal

thorhammer

Nice. NOS on something 75 years old is always cool.

coastal_dan

Neat piece John!  Fun seeing what you bring home some days.  ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...