Interesting Penn 9/0

Started by Lowprofile, July 31, 2016, 01:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowprofile

This was at a local shop. The worker was replacing the gear sleeve because one of the teeth broke.  If somebody here doesn't know I'll explain it in a later post, hopefully get video tomorrow.

swill88

what's the lever on the handle nut?

Robert Janssen

Hmm. Sorta reminds me of something i was working on a couple of months ago.

Will be interesting to see what this one is about.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

looks like drag adjustment lever instead of a star one  ??? ??? ???

RowdyW

I'd say it has to be some sort of drag adjustment because there is no star wheel for drag adjustment. Maybe a full on & full off switch. It looks like as soon as you start cranking it sets the drag. That might explain a tooth broken on the gear sleeve.      Rudy

PacRat

I agree with Rudy. It looks like the handle must replace the drag star and the eccentric lever replaces the handle. Applying pressure to the handle applies pressure to the drag. The lever is also a max drag stop.
Just my two cents worth...
Mike

Tightlines667

I think you guts got it.  Seems like cranking under pressure might graduallyou increase the drag pressure (up to a point), while cranking backwards will definately allow you to back the drag off quickly.  A sort of one handed, rudimentary, automatic drag.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

David Hall

RowdyW

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 31, 2016, 07:20:16 PM
I think you guts got it.  Seems like cranking under pressure might graduallyou increase the drag pressure (up to a point), while crankingredients backwards will definately allow you to back the drag off quickly.  A sort of one handed, rudimentary, automatic drag.

John
John, I don't think it can be cranked backwards because you would need another eccentric lever to disengage the AR dog similar to a 349hc Mariner.

Dominick

I think it was converted to a two speed.  the lever switches to high and low.  It is on the wrong side to work the drags.  I said I think???  What is the real answer.  Who is this person who is doing innovative work and may not be a member of AT.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

So if the owner brought it in for a simple gear sleeve replacement, then my guess is the owner didn't build it ??.....just a guess

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Tightlines667

Quote from: RowdyW on July 31, 2016, 09:28:51 PM
Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 31, 2016, 07:20:16 PM
I think you guts got it.  Seems like cranking under pressure might graduallyou increase the drag pressure (up to a point), while crankingredients backwards will definately allow you to back the drag off quickly.  A sort of one handed, rudimentary, automatic drag.

John
John, I don't think it can be cranked backwards because you would need another eccentric lever to disengage the AR dog similar to a 349hc Mariner.

I was just guessing that the handle arm had been tapped/threaded to ride up and down the gear sleeve.  Cranking backwards would engage the dog, then back off drag pressure.. up to 1 full rotation... likewise cranking forward, if the gear sleeve (or that lever affixed to the gear sleeve), and possibly the spool is held in place, would tighten the drag.  Of course this is a complete guess, and I am likely missing something here. 
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

STRIPER LOU

Home brew attempt at a lever drag?

Alto Mare

Quote from: Tightlines666 on July 31, 2016, 10:57:06 PM
I was just guessing that the handle arm had been tapped/threaded to ride up and down the gear sleeve.  Cranking backwards would engage the dog, then back off drag pressure.. up to 1 full rotation... likewise cranking forward, if the gear sleeve (or that lever affixed to the gear sleeve), and possibly the spool is held in place, would tighten the drag.  Of course this is a complete guess, and I am likely missing something here. 
Yup! same thought here John.
There are kits that do just that, but I've never seen them on a 9/0.
Maybe that's why he need a new sleeve :-\
Here are a couple of pics of the "DIX DRAG" kit, very similar

That little pin on the lever by the handle screw takes all the pressure. The design doesn't make much sense to me on a reel of that size, add our upgrades to that reel and that lever would go flying...just my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Lowprofile

You guys got it. It's an off the shelf modification here in Japan and made for shore fishing big grouper. I haven't personally used it so I'm still confused what the big deal is. Reeling forward moved the handle down the gear sleeve threads and tightens the drag until it hits the little metal blocker that is where the hand would normally go. Reverse the handle and it loosens the drag until it hits the other side of the block (one full rotation). Playing with it, it seemed that it would go from locked down to completely free with one rotation. I'm going by again today and will get video if the reel is still there