Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Hi Sid,
I was looking for a "handle info" thread around here...found quite a few questions about "will this handle fit a Shimano" or "will that handle fit an Abu"...but no kind of history about Penn handles through the years. I think this area would be a great place to have such a thread.
I have a handle question...and for lack of a better place to ask(this vintage forum is my best chance of an answer)I'll just ask here and you can move it to a more appropriate location I may have missed. Maybe even make it the first victim of a new handle info thread. ;D
My quandary, probably a simple one, is I have a handle the same size as a #24-155 but stamped #24-60. It has the older football shaped knob as opposed to the newer torpedo knob. Did this handle pre-date the 155 reel? Seems not to be likely...as it is numbered. I'd sleep better knowing the answer to this question, and many other handle questions too!  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Thanks, Mo. I was thinking of a handle thread similar to my recent spool thread (actually, better, the spool thread has a lot of pictures but little information). Here's a handle thread for you  ;D
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

foakes

Here is a blue handle on a little old 180 --

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on August 01, 2016, 04:06:54 AM
I was thinking of a handle thread similar to my recent spool thread (actually, better, the spool thread has a lot of pictures but little information). Here's a handle thread for you

Thanks Sid. I was just thinking...you should sticky those spool and catalog threads also...so they can be found easy. Many of our questions can be answered by surfing these threads that focus on individual parts and items associated with the reels.

alantani

you gotta love these guys....   ;D

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

Quote from: alantani on August 01, 2016, 04:00:52 PM
you gotta love these guys....   ;D

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Handles.aspx

Yep...a very handy work there...use it almost daily...but no mention of a #24-60 handle.  :-\

Bill B

Got to love the wife, she was doing a dress fitting for a friend that is getting married soon and the bride to be wanted to pay her, but the wife would not take any money, but while I was there at the house I spotted this 114 in the garage collecting dust and jokingly said I would take the reel as payment  ;D, wouldn't you know it the bride said sure :o....well anyway the reel looks all original except for the handle, but it got me thinking, Penn sold aftermarket accessories, could this stainless steel 6" handle be a Penn handle?  Not really hopeful, but it sure has some leverage....any opinions?  Bill

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Penn Chronology

This has the potential of become a great resource. I will start it out with a little handle info and we could carry this further as time allows.

Early Penn Senator counter weighted handle and their blade length. These handles are late 1930's into the 1950's.

mo65

Good deal Mike...that is what I had in mind. Maybe you can answer my original question here. What's up with the #24-60? Was it used before the #24-155? They appear to be the same size...only difference is the number. Like Curly said..."I try to think, but nuttin' happens"

Penn Chronology

QuoteGood deal Mike...this is what I had in mind. Maybe you can answer my original question here. What's up with the #24-60? Was it used before the #24-155? They appear to be the same size...only difference is the number. Like Curly said..."I try to think, but nuttin' happens"

I think it is just a style thing. The handles are the same size. Of course the Long Beach came first; but the Long Beach and the 155 both date back to the 1930's and they both basically had the same handle back them, long before part numbers. Never really thought too much about it. The thing to do is, get one Long Beach and one Beachmaster and swap the handles. And there lies the answer....................

mo65

At some point Penn must have discontinued the #24-60 and the#24-155 survived as the handle used on a gazoodle of models. My guess is the #24-60 bit the dust when the Longbeach received the #24-66 handle.

Penn Chronology

QuoteAt some point Penn must have discontinued the #24-60 and the#24-155 survived as the handle used on a gazoodle of models. My guess is the #24-60 bit the dust when the Longbeach received the #24-66 handle.

Don't know about that. I always figured the 24-66 handle was made for the larger Long Beach reels. They all interchange, so when they were discontinued is a hard call. Today all the part numbers are still listed. If you want a correct handle for a Long Beach, you order a 24-60. We are really splitting hairs here. They are pretty much the same.

bluefish69

I've been putting 24-66 handles on LB reels since the early 60's. been putting them on the CC reels that I build. I might change some if I get my hands on some of Lou's round custom handles.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

mo65

Quote from: Penn Chronology on August 04, 2016, 04:56:28 AM
If you want a correct handle for a Long Beach, you order a 24-60.

There isn't a single mention of a #24-60 on Scott's entire site...that is how I ended up on this mind numbing subject in the first place! :D This is how I came up with the theory #24-60 was an early Longbeach handle. All the Longbeaches I've had (60's to present) had a #24-66...regardless of model. Scott's lists the #24-66 as the handle for all of them. Oophs...except the 259 Live Bait Caster...they list a #24-155 for that one.

mo65

Some of those early knob colors are so cool, like the green/yellow swirl. It's an entirely different green than the later green/white swirl. And that "rootbeer" brown...was that originally that shade? Or did it fade from an orange or red? These are the questions that have plagued mankind for centuries... ;) :D ;D