Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

Would anyone happen to have a basic timeline of the different handle shapes......I know there is no absolute but the introduction of a shape maybe a starting place...I know there are pear, sharp torpedo, blunt torpedo, flat rubber, large ribbed torpedo and smooth torpedo (larger senators) and maybe more.....I am not looking for what reels they were attached to, but just an introduction date.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

I'd love to have a basic timeline for reference too Bill, but with Penn being so famous for being frugal it would be difficult at best. So many times they have introduced "budget models" just to use up old handle stock...resulting in timeline overlaps. Perhaps just a chart stating the first known appearance of the many knob variations could be worked up. Maybe if Mike gets bored sometime he could do it. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Penn Chronology

QuoteInsert Quote

I'd love to have a basic timeline for reference too Bill, but with Penn being so famous for being frugal it would be difficult at best. So many times they have introduced "budget models" just to use up old handle stock...resulting in timeline overlaps. Perhaps just a chart stating the first known appearance of the many knob variations could be worked up. Maybe if Mike gets bored sometime he could do it.

Bored,,, ha, I do not have time to be bored.............<:O)      Soon my Early Penn Source book will be available in the softcover at the Whitefish Press. I have scanned every page of the first 25 years of Penn catalogs and published them in this source book. It will be a large reference book and you will be able to see the evolution year by year of the handles and build styles of the first 25 years of Penn reels.

Bill B

Anxiously awaiting the latest edition....I am hoping Santa brings the Blue Book (2nd Volume) this year.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

mo65

I already ordered the new book...can't wait to see it.

Decker

Can anyone tell me how to mount a replacement knob on a penn handle?   I see knobs for sale on ebay, but the sellers can't ell me how to mount them.  My guess is that there is a brass insert that gets peened into the knob shaft...

Is there another thread?

mo65

Quote from: Decker on January 06, 2017, 09:51:01 PM
Can anyone tell me how to mount a replacement knob on a penn handle?   

This sounds like a question for Fred. I'm sure someone will have an answer...I've often wonder about this myself. :-\

Penn Chronology

I believe they are mounted into a small type of press or screw vice designed to squeeze the rivet. If you try to peen it with any kind of hammer you may damage the knob.

Hope Fred has a better answer.

BryanC

Irish Jigger described how he replaced Penn knobs on this thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1021.0

Decker

Quote from: BryanC on January 09, 2017, 01:18:49 PM
Irish Jigger described how he replaced Penn knobs on this thread:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1021.0

Irish Jigger gives a very brief and colorful description of the process on that thread:

Quote from: Irish Jigger on June 24, 2010, 09:52:57 PM
I was able to buy replacement Penn torpedo handle knobs in different colours in the UK a few years back. They came with the brass spindle attached and the knurled oil insert separate for fitting later. The method of fitting was to remove the loose handle knob/spindle and fit the replacement one. Then grip  a 3/16 in dia pin punch in the vice to act as an anvil when riveting the new spindle  to the old handle. Finally fit the oil insert to the handle knob.

Regarding loose handles,you could remove the oil insert from the loose handle and re rivet the spindle as described above. I don't think the oil insert would not be worth refitting!

American translation of the last sentence: " I think the oil insert would be worth refitting!"  ;D

This doesn't give much detail about replacing the rivet.  The ones I have seen at auction come with the "oil insert"  and knob shaft attached to the knob.  Sounds like inserting the rivet requires a carefully controlled process.

foakes

Quote from: mo65 on January 06, 2017, 10:05:13 PM
Quote from: Decker on January 06, 2017, 09:51:01 PM
Can anyone tell me how to mount a replacement knob on a penn handle?  

This sounds like a question for Fred. I'm sure someone will have an answer...I've often wonder about this myself. :-\

Sorry, Guys --

As long as I have a ready supply of most handles from continuing to strip down old reels -- I do not take the time to work these over -- so others with more experience will need to add their expertise.

Someday I may have to -- but for today -- I just pull another crank out of the scrap bins.

I have done this before with mixed results -- but for the extra time taken -- I could have completed another reel restoration/service.

Gotta just keep the line moving.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Penn Chronology

I believe I have posted this photo before; but, it may really be appropriate in this thread to do it again.

This old time Penn mechanic is at a Repair Station at the plant. To the right are two special vices on the bench with Penn counterweighted handles set up on the vice screw. There are handle knobs in the part bins. I believe those two vices are used to squeeze the handle rivets. I am not 100%; but, it looks like they could be the answer.

The large handle on the vice is a 12/0 rose wood handle that would be considered a rare piece today.

In the lower left corner of the photo is a sort of anvil on the bench. That may also be part of the answer.

Decker

Quote from: Penn Chronology on January 10, 2017, 02:36:19 AM
I believe I have posted this photo before; but, it may really be appropriate in this thread to do it again.

What a great photo, worth 10,000 words!  Thank you!

Penn Chronology

QuoteWhat a great photo, worth 10,000 words!  Thank you!

Happy to add my two cents!

ez2cdave

Quote from: mo65 on September 14, 2016, 07:35:49 PM

An interesting handle for sure Bill. I've been searching for one...and so far the handle in this link is as close as I've come. I've seen several of these, maybe yours is someones rendition of this.

[/quote]

I have one of those handles in my hand . . . Still searching for one ?

Tight Lines !