Handles

Started by mo65, July 31, 2016, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ez2cdave

Did some searching throught my parts . . .

A Red Knobbed 24-85 . . . A 24-155 (for reference) . . . 24-60 with Amber knob ? ? ?

ez2cdave

Quote from: ez2cdave on February 11, 2017, 04:24:44 AM
Quote from: mo65 on September 14, 2016, 07:35:49 PM

An interesting handle for sure Bill. I've been searching for one...and so far the handle in this link is as close as I've come. I've seen several of these, maybe yours is someones rendition of this.

I have one of those handles in my hand . . . Still searching for one ?

Tight Lines !
[/quote]

I can measure the handle, if needed . . .

Tight Lines !

Bill B

Looks damn near the same as mine....hummmm so these are starting to look like production aftermarket parts....mine came on a California rock cod rig....any history on yours?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

ez2cdave

Quote from: TARFU on February 11, 2017, 06:53:02 PM
Looks damn near the same as mine....hummmm so these are starting to look like production aftermarket parts....mine came on a California rock cod rig....any history on yours?

I don't have any background info . . . The handle came from an eBay reel, but nothing special about the reel.

Tight Lines !

RowdyW

I've got one of those handles too. It came on a reel from ebay. Mine has a straight plastic or bakelite handle on it. I tossed it in my project box for further use someday.  ::)     Rudy

ez2cdave

Quote from: RowdyW on February 12, 2017, 01:13:43 AM
I've got one of those handles too. It came on a reel from ebay. Mine has a straight plastic or bakelite handle on it. I tossed it in my project box for further use someday.  ::)     Rudy

Post up a pic, if you have time !

Tight Lines !

richard

All my "small Penns"  505,500,140,155,180,26
, have handles that curve downwards,with the locking
screw on the "handle side" of the crank.
Only one has the locking screw on the end with the
counterbalance weight.
Any thoughts appreciated Gentlemen? :-\

Bill B

Richard, as best as I can figure out, Penn handles were made every which way, including up.....we have found the curves to point down towards the knob, up towards the knob, (when viewed with the knob at 7 o'clock) so it seems that the lock screw could be on the counter weight end or knob end depending on how the handle was assembled. Checking through my reels, all but one (a later JM 500) have the locking screw on the handle. The odd ball JM has the screw on the counter balance. My DelMar 286 has a reversed curve, but the screw is on the handle.  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

richard

Thanks for the explanation TARFU.
I kind of assumed they would be held in jigs for assembly,
and therefore all the same way round...
Friday afternoon self expression in Philadelphia eh? ;Cheers.

mo65

Could someone tell me what was the largest production counterbalanced handle Penn made? If not too much trouble maybe post a pic of it beside...say a #24-66...for us curious students.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sdlehr

Not sure if its the largest made, but the largest in my collection are on my 12/0 Senators (which are the largest in my collection. The 10/0 would have had the same handle). The catalog pictures of the first 14/0 and 16/0 Senators didn't have counterbalanced handles. Lots of pics of these in Mike's blue book.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Penn Chronology

Top handle is the largest of the Penn Counter Weighted handles.

mo65

I had a feeling that 12/0 was the one...was checking it out in the earlier post on this thread. Also that 49 handle at the bottom gives a nice size comparison...she's a big'un alright! Thanks fellas.  8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Swami805

Was looking for some info on the handle, it has an aluminum knob. It came off a 155 with no part numbers and the handle has a coin edge on the counter weight and no number as well. Just wondering how long penn made them out of aluminum. Did the handle lady turn these too?  Thanks
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Penn Chronology

QuoteWas looking for some info on the handle, it has an aluminum knob. It came off a 155 with no part numbers and the handle has a coin edge on the counter weight and no number as well. Just wondering how long penn made them out of aluminum. Did the handle lady turn these too?  Thanks

As far as I know, Penn did not make these handle knobs out of aluminum. This would be made outside of the factory or it is an experimental piece.

I have made some inquires to a former Penn CEO about the handle turnings, hope for a response soon.