Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

Sid - Do you mind if I start a thread about Penn Trade Reels?

I find it interesting how many different trade reels there have been over the years.  I've started collecting some of them and I am continuously intrigued by the small and large variations.

I'll post pictures later on this evening and over the next few days but hopefully this can turn into a nice big trade reels photo reunion with some of you fellas/gals additions :)

I also think it would be great to start a list of companies/trade names they made reels for and break it down by model and maybe it's corresponding Penn reel and pair it with a photograph.

I know a lot of information is available through our great friend and author Mike C. but a little database here at AT.com would be sweet as well.  Also, there are a few trade reels done post the late 50's as well  ;)

I think this could be quite fun.  ;D

Edit: 8/8/16 - Adding a list of Trade Names (that Penn manufactured)...please post with any new/additional info

Edward K. Tryon Company - King-Fisher reels
Baker, Hamilton & Pacific Co. - Baker Beach reels
Schultz Tackle - Schultz Reels
Gus Walz (Thanks Brian)
L.L. Bean
Abbey & Imbrie
J.C. Higgins (Sears Roebuck) - J.C. Higgins Reels
Penn Trade Reels - Various Names (Either showing or not showing Penn on the product)
New York Hardware Trading Company - (Diamond on side plate)

Edit: 8/10/16 - There were a few other companies that did Trade reels for some of the companies above...pay close attention to things such as eccentric levers, reel stands, handles etc etc and compare them to Penn prior to assuming it was done by Penn...I know I've made this mistake and hopefully it'll save you some coin in the long run ;D
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Quote from: coastal_dan on August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM
Sid - Do you mind if I start a thread about Penn Trade Reels?

I find it interesting how many different trade reels there have been over the years.  I've started collecting some of them and I am continuously intrigued by the small and large variations.

I'll post pictures later on this evening and over the next few days but hopefully this can turn into a nice big trade reels photo reunion with some of you fellas/gals additions :)

I also think it would be great to start a list of companies/trade names they made reels for and break it down by model and maybe it's corresponding Penn reel and pair it with a photograph.

I know a lot of information is available through our great friend and author Mike C. but a little database here at AT.com would be sweet as well.  Also, there are a few trade reels done post the late 50's as well  ;)

I think this could be quite fun.  ;D

Not at all, Dan. Anyone can post in any part of the forum. I think the addition of a section on trade reels is a great idea!

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Makule

I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

swill88

Dominick

Reels made by a manufacturer and given a brand name like Sears Roebuck reel or Cabela's.  I think that's what is being referred to here.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

funhog

... a Private Label reel? like like car tire companies do?

George4741

Like this King-Fisher, perhaps?  I believe this is a 1933 Penn 250 yd Long Beach marketed by the E. K. Tryon Company.

viurem lliures o morirem

coastal_dan

Exactly the idea George and Dominick!  Penn, as well as other manufacturers, has manufactured reels for other companies/stores/endeavors under trade names to boost sales, all while being pushed through the Penn plant.  This process spans decades!  Mike may pitch in at some point, but a lot of this may be redundant if you own 'the book'.  The pictures that follow in this thread will hopefully expand into a lot of photos and reference data for any and all to read.

George - Nice King-Fisher!

I've taken a likin' to the #14 and #15 Trade reels, so here goes my post for the evening...

Ocean Side Regal based on the Penn #15

Surf Angler #25 based on Penn #15

Live Wire Surf Reel #938 based on Penn #15

Offshore Deep Sea Reel based on Penn #15

Old Salt Surf Reel #15 based on Penn #15

Deep Sea Angler #20 Based on Penn #14

And not a part of the #14 or #15 set is this King-Fisher Sea Side based on a Penn Sea Ford (not cleaned yet...taking my time with this one  ::))

I have a few J.C. Higgins reels I'll be adding soon to the thread...and hopefully more of the #14 and #15 trade reels because I flippin' love them.

Ok...please carry on!

Dan from Philadelphia...

Oceanreels

Dan,
There is one more to add to your list Gus Walz. Penn made at least one reel marked Gus Walz, Tuna King, New York. The reel is a 1938 9/0 Senator.
  He had a tackle shop on 3rd Ave. in New York.

Brian Purrone  Member ORCA
http://myfishingreels.weebly.com/

Penn Chronology

QuotePenn made at least one reel marked Gus Walz, Tuna King, New York. The reel is a 1938 9/0 Senator.
  He had a tackle shop on 3rd Ave. in New York.

Brian, your Gus Walz is still the only one I have ever seen. Rare, Rare and Rare!!!

George4741

Dan, You have quite a nice collection there.  I especially like the 3 pillar versions, such as the Deep Sea Angler #20.  Lately I've seen several of these trade reels around.

Quote from: coastal_dan on August 09, 2016, 01:49:09 AM

George - Nice King-Fisher!

We'll see how nice when I disassemble it.  The handle turns with the ease of a meat grinder. ::)
viurem lliures o morirem

Maxed Out

How bout a trade reel that still has the penn logo.......This reel resides in Rays collection. It is a small yardage long beach. Mike or Ray can fill us in on this rare Penn trade reel.

Brians 9/0 trade reel is definitely as rare as they get.

Penn made trade reels well into the 50's, and many smaller model Penns can be found with the JC Higgins (sears) logo.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

coastal_dan

YES!! Love this.

Brian - Amazing reel, I've never heard of Gus Walz - fantastic, learning something new  :o

Ted - Any trade reel is certainly welcome!  Very interesting.

I've been drooling over a J.C. Higgins 304-42170 (149 based reel) for a few months and I finally bought it for a fair price.  Hopefully get some pictures up in the next couple days.

Dan from Philadelphia...

oc1

Having side plate molds made must have been a big deal and big expense.  I wonder if each trade reel had completely separate molds or if there was some way to put a new medallion in an existing mold.
-steve

Superhook

Ted,

The reels with the diamond on the tail plate were sold by The New York Hardware Trading Company . The design has also been seen on Ocean City made reels.

Ray