Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill B

OC if memory serves me correctly, Penn had many different "plugs" that could be substituted in the mounding process where we would find the "Penn Patented" and model number on the head plate. Mike's book has some really good photos of the plugs.  Just by changing the plug a whole new name can be applied to a basic Penn reel.... Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Superhook

Bill,

Regarding your reference to Mike's Book .

This was one of Bruce Davis' photos from when he visited Penn more than 10 years ago.  It shows many of the Plugs Penn used in making the Trade reels . Many were used on the #14 & #15 Penn reels.

Ray

Rancanfish

I bet the plugs are worth some dollars now.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Bill B

Thank you brother Ray, that is what I was thinking of....hopefully this is the answer OC was looking for....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

coastal_dan

I love that photo  :o  It has been my PC background for quite a while.

They also had some complete molds done as well I believe.  Our amigo Ted had a very special 'mould' for a J.C. Higgins level wind and it was the complete left side plate, as far as I remember it did not have a plug.

If you are interested here is some 'light' reading, that I actually really enjoyed last night.  It's only 60 pages or so.  From this information I would say Penn used 'Flash Moulds' as the primary manufacturing process...easy to create, easy to clean and quick in the assembly process.

https://www.nonstopsystems.com/radio/pdf-hell/article-moulding-bakelite.pdf

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

sdlehr

Quote from: Makule on August 08, 2016, 08:53:43 PM
What are "trade reels"?

Penn made "trade reels" from the beginning, when they themselves were a "no-name" brand, so if they could be associated with a familiar name it could help their sales. I often wondered how these trade reels may have ended up hurting Penn's bottom line when a person that wanted a Penn could get the same reel at half the cost (my guesstimate, may not be accurate) with a different name on it.... Hade the trade reels been unavailable would those people have purchased Penns at a higher price, or been sold on a cheaper, poorer-performing reel? I would imagine the Penn and the trade reel that represented it were never displayed on a shelf next to one-another, so it seems logical that the two  linens of reels went after two different market segments.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

broadway

So, you're the one that beat me on that King-Fisher, George? I couldn't go any more since some of my recent acquisitions inflated my Amex bill to disgusting proportions.
Glad it made it to the right persons hands. ;)
Nice trade reel collection, Dan... it's coming along nicely.  Dan, where did you find the name of the King-Fisher "Sea Side"? Never new that's what it was called.
Brian, I've stared at that reel on your web page too many times... amongst so many others!
Sweet stuff guys,
Dom

George4741

Quote from: broadway on August 10, 2016, 06:41:04 PM
So, you're the one that beat me on that King-Fisher, George? I couldn't go any more since some of my recent acquisitions inflated my Amex bill to disgusting proportions.
Glad it made it to the right persons hands. ;)

Dom

Thank you, Dom.  I was bidding on at least six unusual Penns in the last two weeks.  Someone ::) beat me out of most of them.  Luckily for my Discover bill which, to paraphrase you, is also expanding to disgusting proportions. ::)  Did you get lucky on anything?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

coastal_dan

Dom - Thanks sir...the King-Fisher name was in 'The Book', name was determined from the Original box...a beautiful combination.  Did you have an Abbey & Imbrie Dom?  I feel like I remember somewhere that you did...feel like sharing a picture?
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

George4741

Quote from: Superhook on August 09, 2016, 11:55:57 PM
Ted,

The reels with the diamond on the tail plate were sold by The New York Hardware Trading Company . The design has also been seen on Ocean City made reels.

Ray

In addition to the diamond on the tailplate, My Ocean City reels have Black Diamond Special and New York Hardware Trading Company stamped on the reelfoot.

Do the Penn NYHTC reels have any other trade markings besides the diamond?

George
viurem lliures o morirem

Superhook

George,

The Back Diamond Special is the model name of your OC Reel. Mike has one of these in the OC box .   http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=13054.60  Near bottom of Page.

The Penn reels only had the diamond design on the back plate only. No other reference to NYHTC . Never seen a Penn box for NYHTC reel.

Ray

Maxed Out

By the 1950's some penns switched to having the logo on the tailplate, like the long beach and 109, which meant Penn had to make a tailplate mold for these trade reels. Here is a rare glimpse at a Penn/JC Higgins tailplate cavity mold and the exact reel that came from it. This reel is a Penn #9 disguised as a JC Higgins 304-42230. All Penn JC Higgins trade reels start with 304-
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

mo65

Quote from: Maxed Out on August 11, 2016, 01:26:24 AM
By the 1950's some penns switched to having the logo on the tailplate, like the long beach and 109, which meant Penn had to make a tailplate mold for these trade reels. Here is a rare glimpse at a Penn/JC Higgins tailplate cavity mold and the exact reel that came from it. This reel is a Penn #9 disguised as a JC Higgins 304-42230. All Penn JC Higgins trade reels start with 304-

This JC Higgins doesn't have any numbers under their name in the logo...but every piece on it is pure Penn. Even the part's numbers are stamped in the same locations as Penn parts.(like the handle and star) I wonder if it was made by Penn?

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

mo65

Holy crap! I just clicked on my photo and noticed the numbers on the bling ring...never even noticed those 'til now! :D Numbers are out of focus in enlarged pic...but read 314-42560.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Quote from: mo65 on August 11, 2016, 01:53:15 AM
Quote from: Maxed Out on August 11, 2016, 01:26:24 AM

This JC Higgins doesn't have any numbers under their name in the logo...but every piece on it is pure Penn. Even the part's numbers are stamped in the same locations as Penn parts.(like the handle and star) I wonder if it was made by Penn?

That green JC Higgins reel was made by Lawrence. They were famous for their Penn look alike reels.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!