Penn Trade Reels

Started by coastal_dan, August 08, 2016, 04:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coastal_dan

I'm sitting here drinking some Midnight Moon and 'reely' enjoying the amount of information that is coming together here...

Ted - Thanks a ton for posting your picture and the statement about the 304- corresponding with Penn...I find both of these crucial to this post!

To continue one step further, Mike C. was gracious enough to send me some information concerning J.C. Higgins/Penn 60 Long Beach that is shared below...to start another beautiful mold / reel pairing...take note at the part numbers that match Penn...

And now onto some additional info concerning J.C. Higgins reel #'s as well as part lists...I found it very difficult to find any information like this...so Kudos again to Mike...he has a knack for acquiring the 'hard-to-come-by'.

Parts list and 'exploded' view of the J.C. Higgins based on the Penn #9

A Partial Parts list with corresponding part numbers that match Penn.  Take note of the Right Side plate line items...this looks to be the best way to see which of the J.C. Higgins reels corresponds with Penn reels (I've been dying to see a list like this...boom...night made).

And a cover scan of similar document...

20x Thank you's to Mike for sending me the info (and Ted for pointing the way) ;)
Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...

coastal_dan

Last post of the night...promise.

Happy to have this in the case now, took a while, but if it was easy everybody would collect reels  ::)

A J.C. Higgins 149 based reel...needs a little cleaning, but overall I'm happy with the initial look-over.  From what I can find this may be the largest of the J.C. Higgins / Penn reels (especially after seeing the list above).

Enjoy...

I'll post a few pictures of the #9 and #109 reels another night...

Thanks for reading!
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

I just realized that Mike had sent additional photos of the Mold for those that are curious...I'll post them this evening, I think you guys will really dig them  :P
Dan from Philadelphia...

mo65

Quote from: sdlehr on August 10, 2016, 02:12:37 PM
I would imagine the Penn and the trade reel that represented it were never displayed on a shelf next to one-another, so it seems logical that the two  lines of reels went after two different market segments.

I'd say you hit the nail on the head there Sid...as I clearly remember going to Sears as a kid and slobbering over the Higgins reels...but never saw those high dollar Penns outside the bait&tackle shacks.

Love that Higgins 149 Dan...cool reel!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Penn Chronology

QuoteI just realized that Mike had sent additional photos of the Mold for those that are curious...I'll post them this evening, I think you guys will really dig them

Great post Dan!

In the 1950's, Sears was an iconic company in the USA. No doubt one of the most noted Department Stores in American History. They had many divisions and these divisions would publish their own catalogs as well as be part of the big catalog. Research into Sears publications may open a new world of information about vintage Penn Trade Reels. The Sears catalogs are a particular corner of Penn distribution that I have not touched on too often, nor have I seen much information about JC Higgins Saltwater Trade Reels in the public domain, so there is a lot of unearthed information sitting in some archive somewhere waiting to be opened.

I would think that there are some members here with old paper from JC Higgins. The old catalogs and or manuals may be a mix of fresh and saltwater styles from many different makers all wearing the JC Higgins aka Sears and Roebuck name tag. Maybe we can open a new vein of info by all contributing a small piece of what we have. It can create amazing results when bunches of small pieces of information are placed into a single pool!

coastal_dan

And now for what you've all been waiting for....just kidding, haha.

I did find this extremely exciting though studying these pictures. ;)

Too cool.
Dan from Philadelphia...

coastal_dan

And scouting through another thread I found that Mike had posted these photos of a NYHTC Bridge City...sweet reel.

Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteCool info Mike, is it ok to assume a 149 with waffle click and no star is from 1939 ??

I would not call the New York Hardware Trading Company reel rare; but, they are really hard to find!

coastal_dan

Some great info, pictures and reels have been accumulated last night and today...I'll sort through and prepare a nice big post this weekend.  I hope some of you guys are enjoying this as much as I am...my wife may be tired of me saying 'babe, check this out!' 😜
Dan from Philadelphia...

Penn Chronology

QuoteDoes this fit in with this thread on Trade Reels?  I accidentally erased the photos of it going back together and somewhat cleaned up.  I like it for an interesting shelfie.  Dominick

Sure it does. Maker is Horrocks and Ibbotson Co., Utica, New York. I believe these salt water trade reels were made in the 1950's.

Dominick

Mike thanks for the info.  I tried researching Shark with no success.  since your post i did find similar reels made by Horrocks and Ibbotson Co.  I don't know how you do it but thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Neat reel Dom!  I'd be interested in seeing a cleaned up photo!  I hate to say this but, the intent for this thread is Penn trade reels.  I only say this because there is SO MUCH info on the various trade reels that we would have one gigantic thread that would be difficult to navigate.  We should definitely start other trade reel threads though!  I hope that doesn't come across 'shmuckish'.  😬
Dan from Philadelphia...

Dominick

Okay Dan, you are correct you did start a Penn Trade Reels, so I moved it.  However, I don't know where it ended up.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

coastal_dan

Weird!  I definitely would love to see the 'shelf' shot of that HI Shark, cool for sure.
Dan from Philadelphia...