The London Broil experiment

Started by Big Tim, July 04, 2016, 02:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Tim

London Broil steak (1.5" thick) 1.5 hours in a kosher salt cure. Rinse and dry then 36 hours in a teriyaki marinade. Rinse and dry,then age for 24 hours,add 2oz of olive oil, turn regularly until room temperature. Hit it on high heat for 6 minutes per side then let rest for 10 minutes and slice. My wife doesn't like the sugars but went back for seconds? My son Mike asked when I was making this again? This was an experiment in flavors and techniques ... I think I will add this to my repertoire  ;D It was like a smokey sweet fillet.

BT

Tightlines667

Looks as though your experiment yielded positive results.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

sdlehr

Sounds good, Tim! I might give this a try. Looks like you need about a 3-day lead time with all the prep.
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Big Tim

Quote from: sdlehr on July 04, 2016, 02:14:38 AM
Sounds good, Tim! I might give this a try. Looks like you need about a 3-day lead time with all the prep.

The 3 day steak was because I'm working 12 + 7 since the SOA trip  ;D But the results were perfect. I'm sure the curing an aging could shortened by a 1/2 day or more.

BT

Alto Mare

Tim, that looks good, I will give it a shot, but you didn't give details on your teriyaki marinade.
I will probably do 3 minutes per side, mine needs to be more red in the middle, still looks tasty though.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on July 04, 2016, 02:19:22 AM
Tim, that looks good, I will give it a shot, but you didn't give details on your teriyaki marinade.
I will probably do 3 minutes per side, mine needs to be more red in the middle, still looks tasty though.

Sal I use this...It would have been 24 hours but I got called to work during the experiment  ;D I think the key is the salt curing. It breaks down the meat and allows a deeper penetration of the marinade.

BT

Shark Hunter

My Wife makes a good London Broil Tim.
Life is Good!

jigmaster501

Your key there was the internal temperature rising in the marinade.

Beef between 70F and 110F yields the highest level of enzymatic breakdown which breaks apart the actin and myosin yielding nice tenderness.

It also accelerates pathogenic development if not done right. The teriyaki marinade likely had a reduced pH which provided some protection during that phase.

You could shorten the time if you want by leaving the marinade wet and cold on the surface and placing it on a cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven. Once the internal temp hits 110F, take it out and crank up the broiler and put the steak on the broiler pan. Save any juices to heat up in a sauce. The teriyaki will brown on the surface after a few minutes and when the internal temp hits 130F, you are done. The inside will be pink right up to the outside which will be flash charred.

Many people steer clear of London broil but it is an excellent cut for those watching calories and a tasty inexpensive cut of meat.

Good work.

Big Tim

Quote from: jigmaster501 on July 04, 2016, 11:42:11 PM
Your key there was the internal temperature rising in the marinade.

Beef between 70F and 110F yields the highest level of enzymatic breakdown which breaks apart the actin and myosin yielding nice tenderness.

It also accelerates pathogenic development if not done right. The teriyaki marinade likely had a reduced pH which provided some protection during that phase.

You could shorten the time if you want by leaving the marinade wet and cold on the surface and placing it on a cookie sheet in a 250 degree oven. Once the internal temp hits 110F, take it out and crank up the broiler and put the steak on the broiler pan. Save any juices to heat up in a sauce. The teriyaki will brown on the surface after a few minutes and when the internal temp hits 130F, you are done. The inside will be pink right up to the outside which will be flash charred.

Many people steer clear of London broil but it is an excellent cut for those watching calories and a tasty inexpensive cut of meat.

Good work.

Thank you Jigmaster..I actually understand nearly all of what you said  ;D My thinking of the salt cure was it would draw out the moisture of the steak and break down the meat fibers thus allowing a deeper penetration of the marinade, which it did. I will try the wet/cold method and broiler finish. Sound advice & yes the London Broil is a definate choice for the lean and the cheap...Very Tasty.

BT

David Hall

I love a good London broil.  I started using a vacuum tumbler several years ago.  It is awesome, I can do what used to take me 48-72 hrs marinade in a couple hours with the tumbler.

mizmo67

This is our favorite cut of meat for steak night at home.

I'll have to try this out :) Thanks for posting it!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

ChileRelleno

I could've swore I'd replied to this thread, know for certain I scrolled through it.

I have a love affair with red meat and beef is predominant...  That's some good looking beef, make me a date with the next one.
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."