Can anybody tell me the difference between these two bearings?

Started by pwall1988, August 24, 2016, 10:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pwall1988

Would like to know the difference on these two bearings. One is a lot slower than the other. I believe the one on the top is boca Abec 5. Thoughts?

Thanks

Bryan Young

The could both have the same Abec rating. The rating is based on the tolerances of the balls in the bearing.   I cannot remember the terminology between the two though.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pwall1988

I see, so they can be the exact same bearing but different styles? For example "caged" and "not caged"

Thanks again

pwall1988

The two pictures are the same bearings but flipped. One looks exactly the same on both sides and one is open Where I can see the balls but the other side is completely covered. Just trying to give a little more info

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Cortez_Conversions

The cage is what holds the balls in the race.
These bearings have some of the shields removed. They could have the same ABEC rating and still feel different.
Damage, wear, lube, lube viscosity could all be factors.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

day0ne

David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

oc1

Need better pics. 

Two bearings of the same ABEC rating, the same design, the same manufacturer, the same model number and the same lot can be very different in their performance.  All you can do is check the free spin time on as many as possible and use the best ones.  When you find a good one, be careful and don't mess around with it .  Just put it in the reel and go fishing.  If you have a really bad one you can remove the shields, use more aggressive cleaners, etc. to try to get better spin.  Sometimes it works but often not.

-steve

pwall1988