Looking for a magnum spool for Penn 4/0

Started by morfius, August 05, 2016, 12:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morfius

Anyone know where I can find an Accurate or comparable spool for an Accuplates 4/0 magnum? I have the plates but frame but not the spool. Thanks for any help!

Bill B

Mo, sorry I do not have the answer, but be patient someone will chime in soon....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

SoCalAngler

I know there is some difference between the 4/0's and the 113H's and I'm not sure what works with the mag side plates, but I have a brand new 113 H spool (black). The markings on the spool are 109D-113HL. If I remember correctly the spool shafts are different on the older black side plate 4/0's and the 113's. Anyway if this spool will fit in your reel let me know and you can have it for $30 plus shipping.

MarkT

What's a 4/0 magnum? A magnum Squidder gets Jigmaster guts. A magnum Jigmaster gets 4/0 guts.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

David Hall

The accurate magnum series of penn reels utilize the next larger size reels internals, the magnum squidder uses jigmaster internals, the magnum jigmaster uses 4/0 internals, the magnum 4/0 uses 6/0 internals.
In addition the spool shafts are larger diameter.  There is no aftermarket equivalent available from anywhere.
Only accurate made the magnum spools and only a 4/0 magnum spool will fit the sideplates of your 4/0 magnum reel.  So what your looking for is a rare bird indeed and I can tell you there is only one place to start hunting for that and that is with Randy Pauly (Vintage offshore tackle).   If anyone has one it will be him.
I hunted down a jigmaster magnum spool with his help (actually he hunted it down) recently and he's the first call I would make.  Then just be patient.  It might take a while to find one.  Definitely worth it once you have it, there's a few here that spent a fair amount of time hunting the parts for these reels patience is essential.

MarkT

I didn't know ther was a 4/0 magnum with 6/0 guts. It must be rare!
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

mhc

Randy P had a set of jigmaster, 3/0 and 4/0 magnums for sale a while back. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=14825.0
Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

David Hall

Quote from: MarkT on August 06, 2016, 04:54:33 AM
I didn't know ther was a 4/0 magnum with 6/0 guts. It must be rare!

They are and real clean ones are even more rare.  Parts are near impossible to find, if Randy doesn't have what your looking for you have a lot of work to do.

Maxed Out

Yes, a magnum 113H does actually exist (wink wink) ;) ;). It has 114H drivetrain. A spool will be a tough find, but if anyone can make that happen it would be Randy Pauly.

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

twotone

Randy has a lot excellent reels or he can you point you in right direction. I've never been disappointed either. 145, 99 and 3/0 mags.

twotone

morfius

Quote from: SoCalAngler on August 05, 2016, 11:13:57 PM
I know there is some difference between the 4/0's and the 113H's and I'm not sure what works with the mag side plates, but I have a brand new 113 H spool (black). The markings on the spool are 109D-113HL. If I remember correctly the spool shafts are different on the older black side plate 4/0's and the 113's. Anyway if this spool will fit in your reel let me know and you can have it for $30 plus shipping.

Thank you, but I don't believe a regular 113H spool will work for magnum plates. 

morfius

Quote from: David Hall on August 06, 2016, 01:01:26 AM
The accurate magnum series of penn reels utilize the next larger size reels internals, the magnum squidder uses jigmaster internals, the magnum jigmaster uses 4/0 internals, the magnum 4/0 uses 6/0 internals.
In addition the spool shafts are larger diameter.  There is no aftermarket equivalent available from anywhere.
Only accurate made the magnum spools and only a 4/0 magnum spool will fit the sideplates of your 4/0 magnum reel.  So what your looking for is a rare bird indeed and I can tell you there is only one place to start hunting for that and that is with Randy Pauly (Vintage offshore tackle).   If anyone has one it will be him.
I hunted down a jigmaster magnum spool with his help (actually he hunted it down) recently and he's the first call I would make.  Then just be patient.  It might take a while to find one.  Definitely worth it once you have it, there's a few here that spent a fair amount of time hunting the parts for these reels patience is essential.

Thank you, David.  I'm going to reach out to Randy right now!