metaloid handle reverse wind

Started by beanpusher, June 02, 2016, 01:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanpusher

has anyone experienced the handle spin reverse while under a load?  i was fighting with a seal and couldn't reel forward and accidentally was able to wind back like a 1/4". the seal eventually scored his meal and i was able to keep fishing even fought a few more times with a seal, but i am curious if this is normal or what it means. thanks in advance

oc1

sundaytrucka

Sorry for the late reply, just saw this thread.

It was more than likely a reaction in the attempt to reel in against the seal, the dogs opened while turning the handle to retrieve line, and the quick pressure of the seal pulling back caused the AR dogs to skip a tooth on the AR ratchet before they engaged again.

Common function of the ambassadeur style dogs when trying to gain line on a large beast, inherent weakness of the design, spring loaded dogs would cure this occurrence, but consumers do not like hearing the noise of clicking dogs. 

I asked why most companies do not sell reels with spring loaded dogs anymore, and they replied that retailers will not buy them because consumers will not buy them.

-Scott
I don't know how to do everything, but I know how to get everything done.

MarkT

Seal or Sea Lion? We don't have many Seals in SoCal but people often call them Seals. The few Seals I've seen don't grab fish from anglers. It's them daym dawgs that do it!

Yeah, people don't like clicking dogs in reels but to me it's the sound of confidence and success. Both my Toriums have clicking dogs! I replaced the Abu style dogs with ones from a Trini DC.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!