Penn 9500SS question

Started by FatTuna, August 19, 2016, 06:28:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FatTuna

I have a 9500SS that broke. The anti-reverse engaged and snapped a screw in half. It's the screw holding the dog in place. Now it has no anti-reverse.

Is it possible to install the dog in the hole that is designed for the clicker? I saw a few images on this website of people of double dogging SS reels. Is it possible to use a single dog just on the other side?

I'll load up a picture in a bit.

Bryan Young

Hi FatTuna,

The 9500SS has 2 anti-reverse dogs. One is supposed to be silent and the other clicks when engaged. I'm not sure why your reel only has one anti-reverse dog.

Regarding the use with one dog, it is okay to use it with one dog as the reel had 2 levers to control if one or 2 dogs would engage. But if you are fishing the reel hard, and you had already sheared the anti-reverse dog screw, you are better off using 2 dogs. And therefore, getting that sheared screw out.

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

FatTuna

Thanks Bryan. I didn't realize the other lever was actually a dog. I though it was just a clicker.

Is it possible to put a silent dog in where the clicking dog is?

The reel isn't mine. My friend doesn't want to put a lot of money into it but would be annoyed by the clicking.

Shark Hunter

I think if both dogs would have been engaged, that screw wouldn't have snapped.
Never heard of that happening on a 9500.
Life is Good!

mizmo67

Where they talk of "double dogging" the 9500SS they were actually adding a 3rd dog.

You can see where in this thread of photos:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=3074.0

I think he drilled a new hole in the housing for it?
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

handi2

This is what I do to them. I stole the picture from the forum.

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

That's the picture I was looking for.

Will that setup work with a single dog or do I need to drill and tap the other hole?

handi2

It should work with the one dog as the spool holds the AR ratchet in place. If you can get the other one sorted it would be much better. It shouldn't be too hard to drill out the brass screw.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

FatTuna

Drilling out screws has never been my forte. I will see what I can do.

Shark Hunter

I see now.
I went with the titanium ratchet and dogs from Adam.
The third dog didn't seem worth the risk to me drilling into the plate. To each his own.

Life is Good!

FatTuna

Damn that looks heavy duty man.

My buddy is way to cheap for that setup. Hope he doesn't read this, lol. This is a 9500 with all brass gears. He didn't take care of it at all. Paint peeling, never been serviced in 15 years, etc. He's a great fisherman but his MO is to just use a reel until it dies, then send it to me......

So the dog setup that Handi showed definitely requires drilling?

Btw, this is the second time that I've seen this failure. Saw it one other time in a 9500SS that a friend bought off Ebay. The screw didn't shear in half but it was fractured and bent.

mizmo67

If they never go into their reel or check any of the screws..things eventually work loose. Add pressure of a big fish to that and *snap* goes something.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com