Question about old split bamboo rod?

Started by Islandgypsy, August 17, 2016, 02:43:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Islandgypsy

Recently acquired split bamboo trolling rod..varnish and decals (Montigue) in great condition, appears to have been sitting in a dark closet for the past 70-80 years. Will pare this with a 38-39 vintage Penn 15 as a wall hanging. Anything I should do to keep the rod in it's current condition?...wax it with furniture polish? Pledge? Carnuba wax? Know you guys have some of these old timers..would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks so much...Greg

Tightlines667

I used  furniture Polish on the bamboo, and never dull on the German silver/agate guides on mine.  Just be carefull not to get product on the silk wrappings, they absorb solvents, and discolor.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Islandgypsy

John, got the never dull, where  would I procure the urethane polish? Is Curtain a trade name product?
Thanks,Greg.

Tightlines667

Oops.. spell checker got me.. just used furniture/wood polish.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Islandgypsy

Have really enjoyed the saga of your growing collection..nice to be caretakers of our fishing past for the future generations. Didn't want to screw this old dog up. Thanks for the info.-Greg

oc1

I would rub it down with something like tung oil or teak oil or even linseed oil. These are penetrating and drying oils so the rod will not feel greasy of catch lint afterward.  Over time the bamboo looses its natural oils and becomes brittle.  Keeping it oiled will prevent shrinkage and cracking and keep it strong.

Some old split bamboo is heavily varnished and some is very lightly varnished.  The varnish helps keep the moisture out and the oils in.  But, varnish can also prevent a dry rod from absorbing oil.  

If it is the original varnish made with pine resins, turpentine and linseed oil, you can bring it back to life with turpentine.  Rubbing with turpentine first will soften the finish for a day and allow the oils to penetrate.  But, go slowly around the wrapping to make sure it is not going to discolor tem.  If it has already been refinished with something like polyurethane then turpentine will likely have no effect.

I bought a split bamboo baitcasting rod because it was really cheap and was a four-piece rod so it could be shipped to Hawaii cheap too.  The label says Mayflower and it has a picture of the Mayflower ship.  The hardware is junk and it is not made very well.  I think it is probably from post-war occupied Japan and was made for export.  

The ferrules were all frozen solid.  The seller had broken it down by pulling the bamboo blank out of one end of each metal ferrule.  There were remnants of dry glue but the bamboo blank easily slipped in and out of the ferrule.

I slipped the pieces together intending to go back and re-glue them later and then put some penetrating oil on each ferrule.  The next day, all the male/female ferrules could be easily separated. But, the bamboo had absorbed the penetrating oil and swollen to its original size so the blank could no longer be pulled out of the ferrule.  There is no glue but they are so tight that I'm afraid it will break if I pull any harder. Live and learn.
-steve

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Islandgypsy

Thanks for the info, Steve. The varnish is intact and the one ferrule is tight,but living in the high desert of Oregon our humidity is low and all wood eventually dries out ( axe heads and hammer heads fall off ) ...have used linseed oil in the past and have some in the shop. Will keep an eye out and remember your tip if it becomes an issue. Thanks!

Greg