Buy a rod based on line weight or jig weight?

Started by pjstevko, August 16, 2016, 03:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjstevko

I was just curious on what criteria you buy/make your rod based on...line weight or jig weight?

I'm gonna pick up a new St Croix jigging rod when they are released in November but am fighting with how i decide which class rod to pick....my past few jigging rods i've bought were chosen on a mixture of both line and jig weights but my heavier jigs put a real bend in the rod without a fish on so it make me nervious to fish heavier jigs.

Can you fish lighter line on a heavier class rod without any negative side effects?

What would be the down side to using lighter jigs on a heavier class rod?

Once again thank you to all who part with knowledge to help other make informed  decisions

PJ

pjstevko

Quote from: Reel 224 on August 16, 2016, 04:39:03 PM
Ill attempt to answer you question the way I would approach building a rod. First I would consider action Light,Med,or heavy. I know there are in between actions like Med Light and so on, but for sake of the conversation lets just say these three choices for now.

Ive chose the action for what type of fish I was targeting and considering weather I'm going to throw plugs or live bait.

Second what kind of situation I'm going to be fishing in Boat,Jetty,Pier, or beach.

That's my first considerations. What reel I'm going to match with the rod Spinning or Conventional

Personally I like a Medium Heavy  rod about 7' to 7.5'

Joe     

Target fish: 99% of the time lingcod, rockfish possibly yellowtail (rarely grouper and snapper in Fl)
Fishing type: vertical jigging, big swimbaits and/or plugs
Situation: Party boat out of Morro Bay
Reel: modified/tanked Penn 501 with mono right now, braid after mono
Length: will be as long as they make

Newell Nut

Quote from: pjstevko on August 16, 2016, 04:49:45 PM
Quote from: Reel 224 on August 16, 2016, 04:39:03 PM
Ill attempt to answer you question the way I would approach building a rod. First I would consider action Light,Med,or heavy. I know there are in between actions like Med Light and so on, but for sake of the conversation lets just say these three choices for now.

Ive chose the action for what type of fish I was targeting and considering weather I'm going to throw plugs or live bait.

Second what kind of situation I'm going to be fishing in Boat,Jetty,Pier, or beach.

That's my first considerations. What reel I'm going to match with the rod Spinning or Conventional

Personally I like a Medium Heavy  rod about 7' to 7.5'

Joe     

Target fish: 99% of the time lingcod, rockfish possibly yellowtail (rarely grouper and snapper in Fl)
Fishing type: vertical jigging, big swimbaits and/or plugs
Situation: Party boat out of Morro Bay
Reel: modified/tanked Penn 501 with mono right now, braid after mono
Length: will be as long as they make

A Seeker Hercules GTS80XH 50-80 is a light weight jigging rod that can handle all the fish you listed just fine.

pjstevko

I have a St. Croix gift card I'm trying to use which is why I'm going that route.....

steelfish

Quote from: pjstevko on August 16, 2016, 03:22:38 PM

Can you fish lighter line on a heavier class rod without any negative side effects?

PJ

as far as I know there is No negative side effects for using light lines on heavier class rods, as you already noted, jigging rods tend to be really flexible and sometimes limps, I think your best bet is to go one step above the rod that "seems" to be the correct for your jig weight.

I even went two steps above on which seemed the correct model for my needs, few years ago I got a Shimano trevala M model because I was thinking to use it with 80# braid and 4-6oz jigs, I ordered online according to those specs, but when I was actually fishing I found the rod too limp and too parabolic for my taste even with 3oz jigs and with 3-4# fish.
I sold the rod and waited until have the time to go to California and check some rods myself, I ended up with another trevala rod but this time with the model 5.8ft XXH, no because I plan to use 200lb braid line but it was the one it felt good when flexing it and handle it on the store, Im using it with 65# braid, a trinidad 16 size reel and jigs from 4-7oz, and its the perfect combo.
I have caught some decent YT on it and it feels like a nice mix with the parabolic action and enough backbone

if you dont have the oportunity to check the rod yourself chose one model heavier, if by chance if too heavy for jigging you can still using it to cast poppers, spoons or fishing bait on drop loop.
The Baja Guy

pjstevko

Quote from: steelfish on August 16, 2016, 06:00:03 PM
Quote from: pjstevko on August 16, 2016, 03:22:38 PM

PJ

as far as I know there is No negative side effects for using light lines on heavier class rods, as you already noted, jigging rods tend to be really flexible and sometimes limps, I think your best bet is to go one step above the rod that "seems" to be the correct for your jig weight.

I even went two steps above on which seemed the correct model for my needs, few years ago I got a Shimano trevala M model because I was thinking to use it with 80# braid and 4-6oz jigs, I ordered online according to those specs, but when I was actually fishing I found the rod too limp and too parabolic for my taste even with 3oz jigs and with 3-4# fish.
I sold the rod and waited until have the time to go to California and check some rods myself, I ended up with another trevala rod but this time with the model 5.8ft XXH, no because I plan to use 200lb braid line but it was the one it felt good when flexing it and handle it on the store, Im using it with 65# braid, a trinidad 16 size reel and jigs from 4-7oz, and its the perfect combo.
I have caught some decent YT on it and it feels like a nice mix with the parabolic action and enough backbone

if you dont have the oportunity to check the rod yourself chose one model heavier, if by chance if too heavy for jigging you can still using it to cast poppers, spoons or fishing bait on drop loop.

That's exactly what i was trying to describe....I have two rods like that but they aren't worth the trouble of selling them so I'll upgrade them as I can....

day0ne

First you have to know what type of jigging the rod was built for, West Coast style or vertical jigging (Japanese style). WC style seems to use a fast taper and vertical uses a parabolic rod. For vertical jigging, you can totally disregard the line ratings and go with the jig weight. After all, why would the braid and mono line weights be different, as is usual in these rods. For WC jigging, you are on your own, but I would still go with the jig weight, because it is what loads the rod, not the line. The good vertical jigging rods have a max and working drag rating which should be heeded.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

pjstevko

oc1

I choose casting rods or blanks based on length and intended lure weight.  I want the intended lure weight to be at the top end of the lure weight range for the rod.  I don't pay any attention to the rated line weight and am usually using line way above what it says on the sticker.
-steve

pjstevko

steelfish

Quote from: pjstevko on August 24, 2016, 06:33:59 PM
heres a link to the rods i'm looking at....

http://stcroixrods.com/products/saltwater/mojo-jig/

get the 5.8Ft   XH model

specially if you arealdy have some MH and M  models that you didnt found appealing
The Baja Guy