500 S Red

Started by Black Widow Tackle, July 06, 2016, 06:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Widow Tackle

I have a Red Penn 500S jigmaster.  Will it take all the same parts and frame as the black ones?
Thanks!

RowdyW

The rings & plates are different. Black & maroon plates have the quick release plates on the right side & red S models the left side has the quick release plate. Guts, posts, cross bars, & stand are the same.

Black Widow Tackle

Thanks!  So...with the tiburon frame fit?:)

RowdyW

Yes, no problem.      Rudy

basto

I see the 500s was only made from late 70`s to early 80`s. Anyone know why?
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

RowdyW

Quote from: basto on July 08, 2016, 12:00:39 AM
I see the 500s was only made from late 70`s to early 80`s. Anyone know why?
Basto
Probably a popularity thing. I guess most people liked the right release plate over the left. No advantage of one over the other.

PacRat

Actually there is an advantage to the original design over the 500s. The old timers used to swap drive plates to change gear ratios. With either reel you can change spools/line but with the original you can also change drive plates for high or low gear ratios.
-Mike

Tightlines667

Also, the line will not catch on the tailplate w/o the quick change knob, it will always catch on a reel's handle/headplate.

I actually like the quick change on the tailplate, but havn't figured out why.  Maybe because it's different?
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

basto

I prefer the quick change on the tail plate too. Only because there is less attached to it.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n