Reel Cleaning 101 : Grease, Corrosion, Salt.

Started by Danderson, March 22, 2011, 04:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluefish69

"D" won the race this time. I just noticed what I did by adding the "s". I ordered a set of bars from him today for a 1/0 - 501. I have a set on my 2/0 & they look very nice.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

I have several sets for my 10 and 12/0's. They are cheaper than buying the stock ones new.
Life is Good!

broadway

Good explanation, Fred.  Let me just add one thing... you'll want to neutralize the white vinegar with water before you put the parts back together.
Also, I'm a fan of the ss posts, but I wouldn't spend that dough on this reel. A little pitting just adds to the character. Hey, you can always tell your kids that the reel was your grand pappy's when you're ready to pass it down to them. ;)
Have fun,
Dom

EccentricRuss

Thank you all for the help.  I have two jars now full of parts, bars and internals in low odor mineral spirits and the chromed pieces in white vinegar.  

The inside was not as bad as expected, although the grinding was in part due to the runaway dog spring just going around where it pleased.

When I was removing the plate and stand screws, I surmised that at one point, a previous owner misplaced/lost two of the correct screws and used screws from the other pieces to cobble together a functional reel.

In line with broadway's comment,  the pieces in vinegar will come out soon and be rinsed off as some of the pitted posts where the chrome has been exposed are starting to oxidized into more rust.  Lots of vinegar and a little time seem to be the best mix here.  More time isn't necessarily better.

If possible, I may just buy posts for that side of the reel, because it's rough now with the pitting and I can foresee my line fraying or binding up if it comes in contact with the rough edges.

When I put it back together, I will post the rebuild in the tutorials section.  This reel is so similar to other Penn reels, but it may help someone in the future who has similar issues to mine.

Thanks again,
Russ

foakes

Good job, Russ --

If you get stuck on some of the parts, let me know.

I should have screws, posts, and a spring -- probably a stand and rings also.  And of course the drags and the under gear washer.

No charge except postage.

Biggest thing is to really clean up the internals -- and like you said, make sure there are no rough spots to catch your line.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

EccentricRuss

If I could choose a theme for the outcome, it'd be "What Lies Beneath."  Vinegar is incredibly effective on the salt corrosion and ate it away down to the base metal, which is good in this case.  I would stress to anyone that follows that one should minimize the time the parts sit in the vinegar and then rinse them quickly!  In my case, I let the plated pieces sit overnight and some rust started forming where the vinegar had reached the base metal.  A little elbow grease and some Nevr-Dull brought the pieces back. If you don't watch their exposure to the white vinegar you may end up choosing the theme, "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie."

Due to the lighting, the brass looks like rust, but except for the posts that is all the base metal.  Unfortunately, the posts seem too far gone for smooth ride of the line and they were the most corroded to begin with; in principle the fishing line should not come into contact with the posts often, but in practice...well anything is possible when I am fishing. 

All these parts are now sitting back in a bag with a fine layer of Corrosion X, hopefully soaking in its legendary restorative powers...

Fred, I will PM you with any parts I do need.  The screws and 2 posts would be great if you have them.  A stand would be nice, but I am pushing my luck there.

Shark Hunter

Good Job Russ! Love your avatar! :D Obviously you haven't seen Fred's workshop. The man has it going on! ;D
I have used the Vinegar, but prefer Simple green. Some people can't get past the smell of the green, or want to use something not as toxic. If its badly corroded, simple green does the trick. If its really gunked up, Coleman fuel works great. Something in the middle, I use brake Cleaner and then chrome polish.
Life is Good!

EccentricRuss

Shark Hunter,

I'll try the Simple Green next time.  I bought a lot of 4 reels and they are all in similar condition.  I also picked up some other lots on shopgoodwill.com. The Penn reels still have parts available, although scarcer by the day.  MysticParts had everything I needed when I took initial inventory of what I needed, although I thought I would have better luck with the corrosion and the sellers pictures conveniently cropped out the missing screws and bent stand.  The stand looks like the previous owner used it to reel in a car or had a large fish nearly snatch the reel off the rod.

With all my Penn rebuilds, I always order new drag washer kits.  These are good reels to start with, but I also have two Pflueger reels and an Ocean City 923 to rebuild and from my initial search online, those parts and schematics are harder to find.  With the Pfluegers and Ocean City, I will really have to re-purpose and modify parts I can scavenge.

I don't understand why anyone would let reels get this bad.

Those are some pretty nice reels you have.  If only there was product that could take them from battery terminal saltwater corrosion to "out of the box" chrome...

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Dominick

Welcome Eccentric Russ.  Does everyone in South Carolina dress that way?  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

EccentricRuss

Domnick,

Around Charleston and the gentry parts of South Carolina, yes.  I happen to live in North Carolina which is regular tie country.  BUT, I try not to conform to the normal corporate standards around here, so I have become known for my beard and bowties.  Anyway at 6' 1" they don't make may ties that are long enough for me.

Besides, someone has to class the place up.   ;D

Russ

foakes

We had a Mayor in Fresno, who always wore his trademark bow tie.  A real gentleman.

That was Ted Wills around 40 years ago.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Shark Hunter

Quote from: EccentricRuss on September 13, 2014, 02:13:48 AM
Domnick,

Around Charleston and the gentry parts of South Carolina, yes.  I happen to live in North Carolina which is regular tie country.  BUT, I try not to conform to the normal corporate standards around here, so I have become known for my beard and bowties.  Anyway at 6' 1" they don't make may ties that are long enough for me.

Russ
Nice Comeback Russ! ;D
I like this guy already! ;)
Its a crap shoot with buying used reels. Turning them into masterpieces is what its all about!

Life is Good!

Aiala

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 13, 2014, 05:01:26 AM
Turning them into masterpieces is what its all about!

As you can see, Mr. Shark has it down pat.   ;)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

broadway

Russ,
   I usually put my chromed parts in the vinegar for an hour or so only because I'm impatient and can't wait 24 hours... Unless it's a bearing that I can't free from the cup so I need a penetrant to do its magic.
You didn't put the side plate in the vinegar did you?
If so, you don't wanna do that... If it absorbs the vinegar you'll be checking ebay for a new side plate.
Keep up the good work and I know what ya mean about regular ties and tall people, I'm 6'5 :-\
Dom

Dominick

Quote from: EccentricRuss on September 13, 2014, 02:13:48 AM
Domnick,

Russ
Oops my bad I said South instead of North.  I am glad you were not insulted and yes you do lend some class to the site.  Welcome again.  BTW I use simple green.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.