Great White Nursery discovered!

Started by sdlehr, August 26, 2016, 04:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cor

Amazing creatures these sharks.  As some of you may know Cape Town is well known for its Great White shark population, though their numbers seem to be declining.  Around 2004 a tagged Great White swam from the East coast of Africa to Australia and back, a journey of about 12600 miles, see article.....http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/10/1006_051006_shark_fastest.html
There are many more articles on this if you Google it.
It takes 11 hours by plane for us to undertake this journey, one way!
Cornelis

joel8080

Frank Mundus and his boat the Cricket out of Montauk made Great White's famous, Frank is gone boat I heard the Boat is still around.

Joel8080
Oceanside,California

sdlehr

Quote from: joel8080 on August 28, 2016, 11:32:11 PM
Frank Mundus and his boat the Cricket out of Montauk made Great White's famous, Frank is gone boat I heard the Boat is still around.

Joel8080
I think it was Peter Benchley that made Great Whites famous. Frank Mundus may have been the inspiration for one of his characters, I don't know.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Dominick

And it was Jonah who made the whale famous, not Ahab... :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

swill88

Quote from: Dominick on August 29, 2016, 12:29:04 AM
And it was Jonah who made the whale famous, not Ahab... :D Dominick

That is funny Dominick.. but, I'm starting to think you are a know-it-all.

Steve

Gfish

Ahhh, I think what Tightlines666- John was sayin' back in post 5 're so, is that fishes movement(or migration), spawning, behavior, etc. and the timing of these things are due to so many different variables, that it'ed be almost impossible to predict where n' when they'd be in certain waters. Think of just the physical characteristics of seawater that could influence fish behavior, location and movement(temp., O2, current, pollution, salinity, etc.,etc.). Are there any bio. models that've been developed, that work more often than not, John or anyone? When I'm fishing, locating 'em is 3/4's a' the battle. It's reversed when I'm on small waters such as a river with "educated"(catch & release), trout in my sights, and it's FLY FISHING ONLY, I know they're there, close by anyway, foolin' 'em is the hard part.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!