Daiwa BG Saltwater 2016: Service Tutorial and First Look

Started by johndtuttle, August 26, 2016, 10:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johndtuttle

Quote from: nelz on March 04, 2017, 02:31:45 AM
Quote from: Ruffy on December 07, 2016, 10:53:07 PM
Has anyone had a peek inside the smaller models? Aside from not having back-up dog for the anti-reverse are they as well built?

Just got back from the store from returning one... I had bought a 3000 and never even fished it. The problem is, at this size the reel puts out way more drag than the rotor can handle. I set it fairly strong, not locked down by any means, and the plastic rotor flexed to the point that it touched the spool. That's a deal breaker.

Some positive notes; the rest of the reel is solid and feels of high quality, beautiful styling and finish. The drag was super smooth and strong right out of the box and gears were smooth. Too bad about the rotor!

What line class were you fishing and how much drag. Just wondering if you were overthinking it....?

Without question the rotor flexes as it is not the high end carbon one on a Saltiga or Catalina....but on a reel that size you probably don't need more than 15# of drag.

nelz

I didn't measure it, but I can garantee it wasn't anywhere near 15 lbs.

ez2cdave

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 04, 2017, 03:43:06 AMWhat line class were you fishing and how much drag. Just wondering if you were overthinking it....?

Without question the rotor flexes as it is not the high end carbon one on a Saltiga or Catalina....but on a reel that size you probably don't need more than 15# of drag.

I'm guessing that the rotor flex occurred while using 20 - 30 lb braid on the reel, right ?

Personally, I only fish Mono and would be fishing 10lb-test on a BG3000. So, rotor flex would not be much of an issue, if any, with a 3-4 lb drag setting.

Porthos

Hmm...15# drag? 13# is that max I'd set my BG6500 to from top of spool...would not want it to start anywhere near the 33# rated max. For a BG3000 (IF I had one), probably no more than 7-8# max...IMHO.

MarkT

It'd be nice if they rated them with a full spool so we could rate them accurately.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

johndtuttle

Quote from: nelz on March 05, 2017, 02:56:28 AM
I didn't measure it, but I can garantee it wasn't anywhere near 15 lbs.

Well, I for one would be very interested to see just what setting causes it to rub if you have the opportunity.

Daiwa does use a number of different spools on the same rotor and body is my understanding and this could be a big deal for some users.

nelz

It's back in the store now, so no, can't do that.

I've never been a fan of plastic rotors, but then I tried an Okuma RTX and was impressed with its C-40X carbon rotor (but unfortunately that reel has other issues.) I know the Daiwa is not C-40X carbon like the RTX, but I thought it would still do alot better given the fancy "Air Rotor" engineering. Too bad because the rest of the reel is impressive.

mangrove

I just picked up a bg2500, loaded it up with 15lb braid and will put it to a torture test on a big snook or jack cravalle real soon. We'll see how the rotor flexes on that.

This reel does not have the bearing under the spool like the big one in the alan hawk review, and unfortunately has the antireverse switch lever which is just another point for water entry.

I got this reel from a swap of a returned shimano nasci 3000 reel, which although was beautiful, smooth, and casted well, the frame pinches your fingers and the rotor busts your knuckles!  And I do not have big hands, geez, someone with ham fists would have no clearance.   :(

BradH

Quote from: mangrove on April 15, 2017, 02:58:20 AM

I got this reel from a swap of a returned shimano nasci 3000 reel, which although was beautiful, smooth, and casted well, the frame pinches your fingers and the rotor busts your knuckles!  And I do not have big hands, geez, someone with ham fists would have no clearance.   :(

Funny you say that because I had the same rotor clearance problems with the Saros FA and Symetre FL when I looked at them.  The previous version of both...the F and FJ...with the old frame style did not have this problem and are excellent reels.  I don't have big hands but every now and then my knuckles would get hit.

mangrove

Quote from: BradH on April 17, 2017, 11:34:46 AM
Quote from: mangrove on April 15, 2017, 02:58:20 AM

Funny you say that because I had the same rotor clearance problems with the Saros FA and Symetre FL when I looked at them.  The previous version of both...the F and FJ...with the old frame style did not have this problem and are excellent reels.  I don't have big hands but every now and then my knuckles would get hit.

I experimented with different holding grips to make sure I wasn't doing somethin wrong... and if I really paid attention I could hold it a certain way to avoid the rotor smash, but then I got a nice topwater hit reeled down hard to pick up the slack & set the hook and WHAP  MF*&$%#@!!*&^!!   That was it, I tried.

ez2cdave

Quote from: mangrove on April 17, 2017, 07:07:34 PMWHAP  MF*&$%#@!!*&^!!

Hmm . . . So, I guess there was some "light contact" with your fingers ?  LOL !

Tight Lines !

johndtuttle

Quote from: koliko on April 29, 2017, 10:45:42 PM
New Daiwa Bg 3000 , how to fix this?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4wB-7Kek9lhdWVJYkFqc1RONGs/view

That should be a question for your Daiwa dealer. I wish I could help, but I assume the screw is as tight as it should be and they have a molding/tolerance issue with your bail arm.

Glos

author=koliko
New Daiwa Bg 3000 , how to fix this?

that is how it is supposed to be, think of kalashnikov and their tolerances..
this BG SW reel is great by many things, that one included

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Glos

On a 8000 that portion of main shaft is super thin relative to the size of the spool and reel in general--thinner even than what you see on the tiny BG-10 (3.3 versus 3.7 mm). My other first impressions of the 8000 though, were favorable. As you say time will tell.

I`ve asked alan hawk about that, after I have seen it here, and this is ( part of ) what he answered:

"The 8000 is advertised as having 15kg of max drag, and in the review I rated it a little lower at 12kg. The shaft is perfectly capable of handling this amount, so you should be fine" .

My thought of the reason is that they needed every millimeter of space for maximum capacity of the spool..
I would like it to be thicker, but hey..

and also, lower gear ratio would be much better, for me, no more than 3.9 : 1 is fast enough

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.