Daiwa BG Saltwater 2016: Service Tutorial and First Look

Started by johndtuttle, August 26, 2016, 10:30:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

after watching a few of Joe's vids, I think all problems could be fixed w/ duct tape...  over Joe's mouth  :o

johndtuttle

Quote from: philaroman on July 12, 2017, 11:09:03 AM
after watching a few of Joe's vids, I think all problems could be fixed w/ duct tape...  over Joe's mouth  :o

I love bruddah Joe.

A bit enthusiastic perhaps, but he is sharing the stoke! ;)

ChileRelleno

For the first time in my life I just stepped away from Penn reels and bought one these BG 3000's.
I paid nowhere near retail as I had some very significant discounts available to use.
So it won't even cause me a sigh if it fouls up.
Going to be on a pier rod, so invasion by SW is going to be minimal and I rinse after every trip.
Looking forward to seeing how it does.

Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

ChileRelleno

Out of curiosity I had Nate play the big fish.
Locked the drag down on the 3000, 10# mono repeatedly snapped and fearful of the rod breaking a time or two.
Never once did the rotor flex anywhere near to touching the spool.
Nope, don't foresee any problems for my usage.

Ragnar Benson:
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."

nelz

10# mono on a 3000, it better be within that reel's ability!  Catch 'em up.

ChileRelleno

Quote from: nelz on July 15, 2017, 05:23:55 PM
10# mono on a 3000, it better be within that reel's ability!  Catch 'em up.
It danged well better be.  ::)
If someone pushes the limits on something, sooner or later they'll find it and break it.
Wish it came with a spare spool, I'd load some 80# mono on there but I'm betting I'd have to put the reel on one of my 40-60# shark rods before the rotor touches the spool.

Ragnar Benson:

Porthos

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 15, 2017, 05:37:22 PM...Wish it came with a spare spool, I'd load some 80# mono on there but I'm betting I'd have to put the reel on one of my 40-60# shark rods before the rotor touches the spool.

Were you going to put the #80 on the BG3000? It's max rated for 12/170 mono and 30/190 for J-Braid... ??? What are you expecting to be your usable capacity?

ChileRelleno

Quote from: Porthos on July 15, 2017, 07:48:35 PM
Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 15, 2017, 05:37:22 PM...Wish it came with a spare spool, I'd load some 80# mono on there but I'm betting I'd have to put the reel on one of my 40-60# shark rods before the rotor touches the spool.

Were you going to put the #80 on the BG3000? It's max rated for 12/170 mono and 30/190 for J-Braid... ??? What are you expecting to be your usable capacity?
Well.... I guess I should've used another emoticon/smilie or three to denote my sarcasm.
Earlier in the thread one person returned a BG because he 'apparently' exceeded its specs and says the rotor contacted the spool.
I just don't see it happening without really trying to accomplish it.
I'm not.
Ragnar Benson:

Porthos

Quote from: ChileRelleno on July 15, 2017, 07:57:19 PM
Well.... I guess I should've used another emoticon/smilie or three to denote my sarcasm.
Earlier in the thread one person returned a BG because he 'apparently' exceeded its specs and says the rotor contacted the spool.
I just don't see it happening without really trying to accomplish it.
I'm not.

I pushed my BG6500 up a "reasonable" one line weight class above the factory max rating of 30/260...used a 40lb top shot with 50lb braid main with drag set at 12lbs from top of spool. Could possibly do the BG6500 up to 60lb top shot with up to 80lb braid main. Would NOT go up to 80lb top shot with the corresponding 1/3-rule of 26.67lbs drag...that's too close to the 33lb max rating. It's also known that graphite conventional frames fail with drag settings of 25+ lbs, so no point in pushing the BG's graphite rotor to this level...

...there's exceeding specs within reason and then there's exceeding specs with total disregard to reason...YMMV.

handi2

I pre serviced a 6500 and larger new BG yesterday.

The only thing I saw that concerned me was the movement of the spool. The spool moved really easy all over the place. Side to side wobble by using my hand. He will be using them for surf fishing. With the drag set light enough for bait to be taken the spool sure moves around. I guess its normal.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Porthos

Quote from: handi2 on July 16, 2017, 12:42:07 AM
I pre serviced a 6500 and larger new BG yesterday.

The only thing I saw that concerned me was the movement of the spool. The spool moved really easy all over the place. Side to side wobble by using my hand. He will be using them for surf fishing. With the drag set light enough for bait to be taken the spool sure moves around. I guess its normal.

Keith

Hey Keith,

Just went out to the garage and checked the spool movement on my BG6500 and compared it to the Fin Nor LT100...there was no appreciable lateral movement.

Wai

Glos

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

Glos

ez2cdave

I previously posted this pic, but am re-posting it to be near Glos's great Spool size reference.

Tight Lines !

Glos

solved

"According to the Daiwa rep...they replaced 5 bearings, the first time, the 2nd time they did not repair but gave me a new one, that failed in 13 hours..sent it in..rust in the bearings was the culprit..and said they are not sealed bearings and to go to the saltist so thats what I did.. .."

( find full conversation in comments on this video )
..that rusting is not really a problem because one can always not dip the reel and fill it with gear case lube that has NLGI of 00 and is EP