International 30 (original) Drag

Started by FinkDontSink, August 16, 2016, 07:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FinkDontSink

This is not the first time this topic has been touched on but I am looking for clarification on what I have read and want to be certain I have got it straight before I dive into this rebuild the wrong way.

I have an original International 30 with the Dry Asbestos Drag system. I am looking to replace this system. My options are limited to I believe... HT-100 or Dura Drag.

The Asbestos clean and put t back together.

The HT-100 is a drop in place part (part # ...?)  that is just going to replace the asbestos washer. Done. Estimated Cost??

The Dura Drag is a little more involved, (117DN-30) will replace the washer and plate but I will additionally have to replace the pinion with (part#....?) due to the change in gear teeth spacing changes over the years.
Estimated Cost??

Not that money is of no concern, I am trying to do this right. I want to upgrade to a system that will keep the reel serviceable for another 30 years. I would like to be able to get replacement parts for the drag system in the future if I need them. Any and all assistance and guidance you guys can give who have done this or similar projects before please let me know. I am new to the international and could use some expert opinions.

Tightlines667

https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Technical/Int-20-30-DrivePlate-Pinion-Change.aspx

You will likely need to order a new duradrags washer/plate for about $54... and a pinion (which does not seem to be available from Scott's).  If you can find a 3rd generation ht-100 CF disc, this is your best route (not available from Scott's).. I may have the pinion you need on stock, but don't have the 3rd Gen washer.  I would disassemble, and clean the reel b4 ordering parts.. you may need new bearings and bellevilles as well.  You may want to try calling scotts or check on ebay for parts availability.

John

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

FinkDontSink

Thanks for the reply and your advice.  I will dive into the reel to see how everything looks. The HT100 disk is no longer manufactured is that correct?? That pinion replacement is required for both  the dura drag or ht100 upgrade??

Tightlines667

Correct, the ht-100 disc is no longer readily available, but if you can find one, you can install it on your existing plate and use your existing pinion.. otherwuse with new parts you will need b9th the duradrag and pinion.
Hope springs eternal

handi2

John are you talking about the out of stock flat drag plate shown on the left of the picture?

OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

I take those and resurface them with 1mm Carbontex material. I may also have some new ones.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Tightlines667

Quote from: handi2 on August 17, 2016, 11:05:28 PM
I take those and resurface them with 1mm Carbontex material. I may also have some new ones.

Keith

That's a good move.. saves money.  I have a local source for the few I've ever needed.
Hope springs eternal

FinkDontSink

How do you get the carbon ex to adhere to the plate?? That is a very good cheap option since you will always be able to atleast get bulk drag carbon ex style material. If I went dura drag and pinion option what are the part numbers or from what gen of international are needed. 

Sorry for 21 questions. I am trying to figure this out.