50SW Gear Stud #134

Started by locknut, September 07, 2016, 10:29:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

locknut

I have brought home to NZ from Taveuni Fiji two very rough Penns to try and sort out for a friend Capt. John Llanes. A 50SW and very old 50T. The SWs gear studs plunger pins are flush with the shaft and not protruding. I take it they need replacing #172 but I can't seem to work out how to remove them. Am travelling to San Francisco and am hoping to bring parts back home with me. Not being a Penn guy any help would be appreciated. The Gear Stud on the 50T is rusted out with no internal thread left to hold the handle so will need to get one of those as well. Does anyone know if Scotts take International credit cards they seem to have the parts on hand. Thanks

Shark Hunter

Maureen from Scott's is a member here. Hopefully all you have to do is set up an account on their website.
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

Quote from: locknut on September 07, 2016, 10:29:24 PM
I have brought home to NZ from Taveuni Fiji two very rough Penns to try and sort out for a friend Capt. John Llanes. A 50SW and very old 50T. The SWs gear studs plunger pins are flush with the shaft and not protruding. I take it they need replacing #172 but I can't seem to work out how to remove them. Am travelling to San Francisco and am hoping to bring parts back home with me. Not being a Penn guy any help would be appreciated. The Gear Stud on the 50T is rusted out with no internal thread left to hold the handle so will need to get one of those as well. Does anyone know if Scotts take International credit cards they seem to have the parts on hand. Thanks

PM Maureen or email Scott's. 

As far as the pins go.  Remove the plunger and spring first, then tap them out lightly with a tap.  They may end up inside the shaft.  If so just tap the shaft smartly on a flat/hard surface, or fish them out with a narrow pick or wire.  Sometimes the bushing and or bridge with bushing gets excessive wear and may need replacing as well.  If there is excessive lateral play in the sleeve a thin SS shim (available from Scott's) under the gear sleeve, and or handle, will tighten things up again.  Make sure to replace any bearings with roughness as well.  The pinion bearing is the first to go.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

locknut

Thanks I will persevere. I have been trying correctly but perhaps with insufficient force.

josa1

Hi Shark Hunter,

Doesn't sound like the reel is in the best of shape to say the least.

I first remove the plunger by inserting an awl into the small hole in the low speed gear to push the plunger out.  Next, remove the spring, I use a Q tip to twist into the spring and then pull it out.  Next remove the pins, I usually just push the pins into the center of the drive shaft and then work them out from there.

Well, from the way you describe it, I would think you need the stud (No Threads!), the pins, and maybe the spring and plunger.  If you look at my post on Old School Shimano, currently on Page 8 of the Shimano Thread, about 1/2 way thru, you will see the exact assembly with the plunger, springs and pins which were added by Cal Sheets when the reel was converted to two speed operation.

One further thing, look inside the hole in the side plate where the crank shaft rides and be sure that the grooves in the aperture, where the pins ride to secure low and high speed operation, are still intact.

Wouldn't be a good thing to buy new parts and then find out you need either a new side plate or side plate insert to get the reel going again.

Best of luck, looks like you've got yourself a nice project!

josa1

locknut

Thanks I got it apart and the plunger pins were very worn and stuck. The Grooves they run in look ok. I have ordered the parts from Scotts and they had everything I needed. We fly to San Francisco tonight for 4 days then are driving the  long Coast Rd to Portland. Have 9 days to take our time so should be fun seeing the sights. You guys drive on the wrong side of the road so will have to be careful.

mizmo67

Sorry, wasn't in here much this past week!

I see that you already figured out that we do take orders by card from NZ.
Just make sure that you let the hotel in CA know that the parts order is coming in for you!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com