Quantum Blue Runner 60 3 Ball Bearing -- First Breakdown

Started by Narfanael, March 23, 2011, 05:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narfanael

Yea ok so check this out.  Doing my first break down on one of my cheapie spinning reels, ya know, getting the feet wet and all that.  I'm excited to be doing this..  If you see me doing something wrong please let me know if a polite way. 

I only get time to work on these during my lunch breaks, which aren't always free to use to progress the maintenance. 

So I started by dialing off the drag and popping out the retaining ring.  It actually sprang up and nailed me in the glasses.  Watch out for that.  Anyway, two pieces fell out.  A metal disc and a fabric donut, which i'm presuming is the drag.  It seems to fit the description.  Anyway, it's so feeble.  It's so foldable and soft and has circular brown wear marks in it. 

So then, I unscrewd a bunch of screws at the butt end of the thing, but nothing came apart.  So then I used a wrench and turned off this nut which was on the bottom where the spool used to be.  It only came a little bit up, and it stuck on some pin which I can't get off the dang post which the spool drops on.  So, Then the butt cover does come off.  Oh, and I did take the handle off.  So, now i'm looking at guts in the reel, pretty nasty.  Brown and light green grease is on everything practically.  My bail returner spring assy is rusted all to high heaven.  The bearing which abbutted the largest gear thing is rusty.  The other bearing is buried beneath more gears and linkages.  The third bearing I have no idea where it is.  So, there's also sand everywhere, on everything. 

Then lunch ended. 

So tomorrow I hope I can continue with my deconstruction.  I need to get some stuff to use to regrease with once i get all this old yuck out of here.  Any suggestions for this?

I have pics of all this, but am rubbish I haven't figured out how to post em yet.  Which I probably can't do anyway here at work.  But I can do at home. 

Thanks for the help everybody, I know this comes across as really hack without pictures and with the rapid fire description of what i did.  Just wanted to quickly convey what has happened so far. 

alantani

get an account at photobucket.com and use the [img] function to host them there and post them here.  works great!  looking forward to your post.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

thorhammer

I am doing a BR480G four bearing reel for a buddy. Got everything cleaned up and it's in good shape...except...bail trip mechanism will not work properly...was rusted as above but only cosmetically. There is a tiny spring behind the dog that I think is to keep tension on the camjack, but wow is it wimpy for a bail over four inches across.

Anyone got a schematic or word of wisdom on this?

thanks!

John