Overcast day on the Big Pond.

Started by STRIPER LOU, September 09, 2016, 03:59:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

On the water at 4 am yesterday. Man the heavy cloud cover made it pitch black. Once I got my night vision and got acclimated I was able to zip to the reef. Tach said 4 grand and water temp was 73.5.

Usually if I start off in the dark, I'll go to the big (15") homemade green plug. Several passes with fish showing on the FF produced nothing. Not too much weed and 1 1/2 hrs into the outgoing and all should be perfect, right ????

Switched to the ole reliable killer, the red/white slope head swimmer. Got whacked on the first pass and it was chaos until I rapped it up at 7:58 on the cell.
Of course there were lots of blues mixed in with the bass, but the fact they were chewing together made it all OK! 6 bass and some amount of blues I didn't even bother to count.

The bass were in the 25/35 lb class and most of them were tanks. Short and fat. The one fish I kept had to have surgery performed as this fish really wanted to eat this plug.
I know some of the members here purchased these plugs and if your not using them, your really missing the boat. This plug catches. I watched several other boats dragging frames, and they were catching schoolies and bluefish.

I'm always amazed how this plug can really root out the bigger fish. Back at the dock early, cleaned fish and the boat and even had time to pull all the spark plugs and re- gap them. The Ficht motors are great engines but they do run hot on the troll. The computer does this automatically to keep the plugs from fouling at prolonged low speed periods.

From the heat the plug gap will widen and when that happens you'll get and occasional sputter. A quick re-gap to .028 solves the problem.

I'm seeing a substantial amount of peanut bunker in the area and if it stays like this it may turn out to be an amazing fall. Fingers crossed.

All have a great day, regards,  ..  Lou

pjstevko

Nice Fish Lou!!!! I'm sure it's gonna eat well since you had to keep it after stomach surgery ;D ;D ;D

mo65

Great fishin' Lou! I would love to try that sometime...our hybrids in the river are about half that size.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

So cool. I just love your fishing stories. Keep it coming. Thank you.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 11, 2016, 12:36:48 PM
So cool. I just love your fishing stories. Keep it coming. Thank you.
Me too.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

newport

I missed out on the plug sale last time. This time I'll be ready!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

STRIPER LOU

Thanks all and thank you Alan. It never gets old for me! If I had the strength I'd do it every day!!!!
best regard's,  ..  Lou

Vintage Offshore Tackle

You have the whole package Lou.  You take care of your own boat, make your own lures, prepare your own gear and find your own fish.  Anyone can turn the handle, but it takes a true fisherman to do it all and that's you!

Randy

Tightlines667

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on September 23, 2016, 09:29:25 PM
You have the whole package Lou.  You take care of your own boat, make your own lures, prepare your own gear and find your own fish.  Anyone can turn the handle, but it takes a true fisherman to do it all and that's you!

Randy

A true fishermen.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.