Salmon Fishing on the Argo with Thorhammer and the gang 9/9/2016

Started by El Pescador, September 10, 2016, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

John (thorhammer) is in town visiting Alan for several days, and we decided to go Salmon fishing.
Here's the view from my home waiting for Dominick's PROMPT 5am pick up.

We arrive at North Beach San Francisco, or at 9am, Touristville USA.

Heading to the Argo for the day, this boat capt. yells out to Alan, "HEY Alan, I owe you money!"  Alan is known far and wide!!!

Here is the Argo our fishing boat for the day.

Capt. Craig providing Safety Instructions, and #1 Safety Rule is "Stay in the Boat all day"  

Passed a monster container ship inbound for offload, it did provide two large waves for us to cut thru.

GPS screen of our location

Got to go Dominick just called, wants to process our Salmon from yesterday, more later.  
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Shark Hunter

Capt. Craig looks just like Dick Van Dyke! :D
Pay attention Dominick!
Life is Good!

David Hall

El Pescador

I'm back...

Head'n out going under the Golden Gate Bridge.

Getting passed by faster boats, this will be telling on how many are fishing with us today.

Our guest for the day, John (aka: thorhammer) & Alan.  John, I very much enjoyed meeting you and spending the day fishing, you have a similar enthusiasm for all things fishing, EXPECT a call from me when I'm in North Carolina next.

We round Pt. Bonita Light House -   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Bonita_Lighthouse      

And "thar She Blows" the NOAA bouy from where we obtain our wave height, swell, sea temp. etc. information.

Here is Mati, Steve & Alan, I'm sure, talking fishing...

OK, we are at the fishing grounds, Duxbury Reef area, let's take a walk around the rear deck to see what we are all using for the day.
First up, John's borrowed Penn Surfmaster 100, provided by Steve, Nice Salmon Set up for sure.

Next up is Dominick's Penn 310 GTI reel

Continuing clockwise, Mati's Shimano Tekota Line Counter Reel.

To the right, Steve's Newell P220 Reel.

Alans' Penn 320 GT reel

And my AT.com "Gateway Drug Reel" my first reel I worked on after joining this site, Daiwa Sealine 27H, So smooth...

Fred, this photo is for you, Safety FIRST & #1 ;D  Check out the PFD's used.

And here is our fishing set up for the day, Anchovies prehooked ready to go.

Set up with a Sinker Release, affectionately called a "Dog Whistle" in the parlance of the SF Bay area Salmon Fishing.

The right side of the Dog Whistle is tied to the line running to the rod & reel, left side is attached to a Dodger or Flasher, then 5' of leader to the anchovy hook setup.

Here is a SF Bay Pilot Boat waiting for the next MONSTER container ship to direct into the harbor

Here is a commercial Salmon fisherman, John tells us this boat in his neck of the woods would be "Shrimp'n"

As we look around there must be 80 boats in the area, all Salmon fishing.

Here is the Duxbury Reel Bouy.

More later....

El Pescador

Fish ON....   and I am up first!

Fish in the ice chest, skunk off the boat!

Dominick is up next.

Nice salmon Buddy Boy!!!

John (thorhammer) is up next.

Alan providing some of his many years of fishing experience to John.

Do you see it???
Just as Alan scoops the fish, the hook is spit out of the salmon's mouth!

John!  Nice fish for sure.  John donated this fish for the dinner at Dominick's tonight (aka: The Board Meeting).

Alan is on.

Alan has the BIG fish of the day, but let's see what Steve catches.

Mati's on his fish.

Nice scoop Alan!  Remember he was our UN... paid deckhand for the day.

John at the helm of the boat, the Capt. & Alan were busy getting fish netted.

Steve and his new fishing shirt!!  Nice & crisp Guy!

The Capt. BUSTED John a dozen times throughout the day for NOT clipping the safety cord to the reel handle.
But it was Steve's reel!

More later...

El Pescador

mrbrklyn!
Per the Official California Dept. of Fish & Wildlife Open Ocean Salmon Season for our area:

Point Arena to Pigeon Point (San Francisco)
April 2 - October 31

Minimum size limit:
24 inches total length through April 30
20 inches total length thereafter

Wayne

El Pescador

OK, here it is, the LAST of the photos for posting, SWEAR :o

Happy Fisherman to say the least!!!
Steve, Mati, John, yours truly, Dominick & Alan,

Here is Steve on his fish of the day.

The bigger the fish, the less chance you will see it at boat side anytime soon.  This salmon ran & ran & ran...

BWAH!  Steve's fish is in the boat.

Nice job Steve, this MAYBE the big fish of the day, but you decide.

Here is Mati's second fish of the day.

I know John posted this shot yesterday, but hey, this is my post!!!!

Several of the fish has roe for us to enjoy, and we spoke about fellow AT.com member, jigmaster501 his what he would say about processing this roe!!!!  Wade in jigmaster501 if you wish.

We all chipped in a few bucks to purchase this super high quality barely used water bucket for Gstours!!!!  Please add it to your red cooler collection!

Heading back in, approaching the Golden Gate Bridge, a few photos to follow.

WHAT a day on the water with a bunch of warm & generous fishermen!  John, you are welcome back anytime in my books,

Tight Lines all,

Wayne

swill88

Great Posts Wayne!

My thanks go out to everybody for a great fishing trip.

And... I just got schooled by Mati on how to pose with a fish.  Thanks!

Steve

Steve-O

Quote from: swill88 on September 10, 2016, 10:17:31 PM

Great Posts Wayne!

My thanks go out to everybody for a great fishing trip.

And... I just got schooled by Mati on how to pose with a fish.  Thanks!

Steve

I don't know, Steve, it looks like you both got the "grip-n-grin" down pretty good to me!

Wayne, FABULOUS THREAD!  Just the way I like 'em.

Lots of good pics of the whole enchilada, guys, gear, boat, action, FISH ON! , and the scenery to boot.

Why Dominick kept his shirt buttoned mystifies me though....just kidding...i know it was cool weather.

Now I'm REALLY stoked for my Alaska trip in a week. It won't be Kings but the silvers are running in the mid to high teens this year. Woot!

Thanks for doing this thread up right, man.

Steve-o

sdlehr

Looks like you guys had a blast! And you caught fish! It doesn't get any better...
Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Steve-O

Quote from: mrbrklyn on September 10, 2016, 10:39:56 PM
I'm very jealous.  Are they running now?

If You're referring to me...yes, the Silvers are running now on Prince of Wales Island where I'm headed in a week.

If you're referring to the King Salmon in this thread, yes, they are, too.

Alto Mare

Wayne, thanks for taking us along, great job as usual taking photos, but I still wish I was there with you guys :( . . 
Looks like everyone had a great time....I'm glad.
Nice fish!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

David Hall

El Pescador

Steve-O!

Thank you for your kind comments,

Do you want more of the "whole enchilada"????

Driving back on Friday through San Francisco, we spotted our first "Burner" of the season, here it is...

For those not familiar with term, "Burner", it is an affectionate word used to describe the individuals who attend the week-long Labor Day event on the remote dry lake bed of Blackrock, NV, about 100 miles NNE of Reno.  It is called Burning Man.

In my opinion, it is a frigg'n modern day Sodom and Gomorrah - IN MY OPINION.

And as you can see, this car and what we could see of the driver, both were COVERED in the white talc-like powder of the alkaline dry lake bed, COVERING everything, EVERYTHING, and more of EVERYTHING.

The things you see while just living your life...

Planning for our 60th BD Magdalena Bay, Baja trip is in full force, lots more on this trip shortly.

Wayne

David Hall

Wow a stretch limo with a giant luggage rack.  Don't see that everyday.