Spooling Line on Spools

Started by USN_ED, September 11, 2016, 06:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USN_ED

Two questions:

1.  For you guys and gals that spool braid/spectra and then a mono top-shot on top of the braid/spectra, do you use any kind of backing between the spool and the braid/spectra?

2.  I've seen some say that using straight mono puts too much pressure on the spool arbor. I've always used straight mono with no backing with no problems.  Should I be using a backing between the spool arbor and the mono.

ED

Bryan Young

Alan recently did a write up but I just cannot find the link.

I don't use any backing when spooling braid the add a top shot.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tiddlerbasher

The most important thing with braid is to spool it on tight. I use a powered spooler which applies 10lb of drag to the line.
I take the empty spool - apply a couple of wraps of easy-fuse tape - then tie on the braid with a 3 turn arbor knot (leaving a tag the width of the spool).
Then hit the power switch and wind-up the speed - guiding the line on nice and even. Right hand for speed control - the left holds a broken rod top with tip-top (the level wind).
I see no advantage to using mono under braid. Solid braid is pretty cheap these days :)

Keta

I either put Vet Wrap (sometimes sold as Flex Wrap) on the spool or splice in a short section of Dacron lie to tie to the spool.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rivverrat

Regarding your second question using mono for backing.  I agree, in light of other methods that can be used I fail to see any merit using mono for backing. Waxing the spool to guard against corrosion & applying the tape Lee speaks of is the most used & time honored accepted method.  
Unlike braid mono stretches a lot. A few years back it was not a good idea to fully spool a reel under a great amount of pressure with mono.
Because of the stretch in mono it stores energy, with each wrap on the spool multiplying this twisting force. This force could be great enough to warp a spool. I cannot understand nor do I believe using mono for backing could do this.... With reels that have knurling on the spool I've got good results with no backing or tape using a uni or SanDiego jam knot leaving a long tag end that's laid flat on the spool & wrapping my braid over the tag. While using it fishing up to 25 lbs. of drag....Jeff

alantani

since i started spooling so much line, i've started a routine that i hope will start to catch on.  

the first thing i do is peel off all the line, as well as the old tape.  i've found corrosion under tape!!!!!

with the reel being wound at high speed, i use an old greasy tooth brush to scrub the spool.  sometimes the corrosion is so bad that i have to use a scotch brite pad or even the blade of a swiss army knife to remove the corrosion.  once the spool is as clean and smooth as possible, i use an old rag to remove the excess grease.  i've chosen grease because it will not harm the mono or spectra and the corrosion inhibiting properties are far better than car wax.  

now for a double layer of flex wrap.

the bulk spool of line is next.  for straight mono, i figure out what the anticipated drag setting will be and set the tension to 10 to 20% of that drag setting, so 30 pound mono will be fished with 10 pounds of drag, so the bulk spool will be set to 1-2 pound of tension.  

for spectra, the bulk spool is set to 50 to 75% of the anticipated drag range, so 80 pound spectra might be fished with a 60 pound topshot and a 33% setting of 20 pounds of drag, so the bulk spool tension would be set to 10 to 15 pounds of tension.  

now it's 6 times around the arbor and a 6 turn uni knot and wind away!  

so the problem is that there are likely only two winders north of los angeles that are capable of delivering more than 10, 15 or 20 pounds of tension off the bulk spool in a buttery smooth fashion.  much less being able to crank a reel against that 10, 15 or 20 pound load.  i have one, jim nomura has the other.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

swill88

Quote from: alantani on September 12, 2016, 05:24:14 PM
since i started spooling so much line, i've started a routine that i hope will start to catch on.  

the first thing i do is peel off all the line, as well as the old tape.  i've found corrosion under tape!!!!!

with the reel being wound at high speed, i use an old greasy tooth brush to scrub the spool.  sometimes the corrosion is so bad that i have to use a scotch brite pad or even the blade of a swiss army knife to remove the corrosion.  once the spool is as clean and smooth as possible, i use an old rag to remove the excess grease.  i've chosen grease because it will not harm the mono or spectra and the corrosion inhibiting properties are far better than car wax.  

now for a double layer of flex wrap.

the bulk spool of line is next.  for straight mono, i figure out what the anticipated drag setting will be and set the tension to 10 to 20% of that drag setting, so 30 pound mono will be fished with 10 pounds of drag, so the bulk spool will be set to 1-2 pound of tension.  

for spectra, the bulk spool is set to 50 to 75% of the anticipated drag range, so 80 pound spectra might be fished with a 60 pound topshot and a 33% setting of 20 pounds of drag, so the bulk spool tension would be set to 10 to 15 pounds of tension.  

now it's 6 times around the arbor and a 6 turn uni knot and wind away!  

so the problem is that there are likely only two winders north of los angeles that are capable of delivering more than 10, 15 or 20 pounds of tension off the bulk spool in a buttery smooth fashion.  much less being able to crank a reel against that 10, 15 or 20 pound load.  i have one, jim nomura has the other.

Alan... can this post from you be stickied?

steve

sdlehr

Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Tiddlerbasher

Alan - there is at least 1 in the UK that can manage 25lb of drag at spooling speed - mine ;D

Tiddlerbasher

But  for braid I see no reason to use more than 10lb :)

USN_ED

Thanks for all the replies and advice guys.  Jeez!!!!  I'm a sticky!!!!

Now I gotta figure out a way to spool line with that much tension without a winder.  I'll figure it out.
ED

RowdyW

Ed, you might want to try putting the line on another reel & mounting it on a rod or reel seat & then set the drag & wind in the line on the reel you are going to use.     Rudy

ScottOz

Hi All, Considering making a electric winding machine out of my barley/chum minced.What speed does a spooling machine rotate at in revs per minute?The motor and gear box I have now does 60 rotations a minute.But this could be sped up by using a bigger pulley on the gearbox.Would also have to make a smooth drag system for the spool.Wonder if Alan  has any pictures of his mega spooler he would share for ideas?My motor is not speed variable.
Scott.

alantani

60 rpm would be ok, just a little slow.  you might want to get something up to 120.  torque is probably more important, so if that's what you've got, give it a try!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

ScottOz

Yep got heaps of torque .1/2hp motor runs through a 30:1 reduction gear box.runs a#32 size mincer with ease.sounds like its worth a try.