Making Salmon Caviar for Lunch-pics

Started by whalebreath, September 13, 2016, 09:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philaroman

Quote from: Steve-O on September 14, 2016, 03:32:40 PM
...First collars, then heads, next roe...what's left to eat?   ???Not eating the guts....nope.  :P I think I did eat a beating heart on dare though IIRC. :-\

well, if you're not squeamish about eating female reproductive material, no reason to be sexist -- fry up some milt (full pre-spawn gonad)...  tastes like firm fried oysters...  actually, cod liver has similar texture, albeit much stronger flavor

humboldtdan

I am curious about the recommendation to treat fish with bleach to remove C. botulinum.  Aren't these anaerobic bacteria in soils and not water?  I know there is seemingly 1 type (F?) that may be found in Atlantic Ocean sediments.  I know I probably don't always do the best job at removing pathogens.  However, it seems to me that one reason one would choose to not always follow the guidelines is that some of these treatments would reduce the quality of the meat, albeit the bacteria/parasite load would be reduced.  I am not trying to argue.  I have never used the bleach disinfection on my fish filets and would be very hesitant to do so without some assurance of its inert effect on the quality.

jigmaster501

The bleach treatment has been used for years. Not exactly legal for wholesale distribution but has been in practice for quite some time and is currently big in imported shrimp.

The concentration that I listed is 25ppm which will likely rapidly reduce in the presence of organic matter being the food. There will be slight oxidation but nothing that can be noticed. The treatment is for control of Listeria, Salmonella, E coli, etc.  and NOT FOR CBOT....

C bot spores are not easy to destroy but that is what the proper amounts of salt and temperatures below 38F are used for. Specifically to control toxin formation. The spores are not harmful unless producing toxin....

The marine strain of Cbot is Type E which is non proteolytic and there are also non proteolytic B and F strains.

Proteolytic strains are A and proteolytic B and F....

Non proteolytics produce no gas or odor during toxin production.

Bleed and ice your catch, immediately. Eviscerate under sanitary conditions. Fillet post rigor mortis if possible. Keep products refrigerated. Your quality will be dictated primarily by these parameters.

Rancanfish

Why post rigor? Seems degradation of the meat would have begun.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

jigmaster501

Fish filleted post rigor will exhibit less contractile destruction.

The contractile destruction will open up cellular structure opening up more rapid degradation.