Potential 300 or 400 series up grade?

Started by Sulla, September 15, 2016, 03:06:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulla

Has anyone talked about potentialy making and selling Newell 300 or better yet 400 series
SS-Bridge-Dual-Dog-System? I for one would be very interested in that upgrade especially considering Bryan Youngs upgraded Drag system.

Swami805

I have a no-letter 440 that came with dual dogs. I could send you a picture and dimensions. It would be no big trick to have a machinist modify one. I'm sure there's a few people on here who could do it for you. As far as I know they don't fail very often though.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

In one of many projects Cortez Conversions is working on, he will be offering a service to double dog 300 and 400 series reels once he has perfected the drilling and assembly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

that is great to hear, i'll be interested in that upgrade for sure. Tom is the man, you too Bryan. funny, yesterday, I was thinking about a 300 series upgrade sideplate set like the accurate magnum series. with spectra backing, a 300 size reel with 500 bridge and gears would be awesome. i don't know about the physical size difference between 300 and 500 series, but my little mind is working...

PacRat

I think Newell Magnum plates would be fairly straight forward as the bridge and mounting holes are identical except for the C-C of the pinion and main gear. Plus with a 500 bridge you get double dogs. This would be one bad-#### reel...not too different from an Accurate Magnum but you get the all stainless unitized bridge plate and jack-lever. Who could resist wanting one?
-Mike

eguinn

Before you guys go to far or get to excited I would talk to >reel man< on here. I'm sure he could or would enlighten you guys a bit.

reel man

Although the diameter of the bride plates are the same for 200, 300, 400, and 500 when it comes to the 500 series not only do the side plate screws do not line up for the smaller reels, the bridge sleeve (gear sleeve) is off set more to accommodate the larger main gear.

PacRat

I thought what Vilters was suggesting is a 'Magnum' version of Bryan's aluminum Newell sideplates with 300 series diameter with a drop-down main gear like an Accurate Magnum. This would/should be a drop-in for a 500 series bridge with only changing the jack lever to a 300, Advantage would be an extra dog, larger/stronger gears, more drag and an abundance of 'cool-factor'.
-Mike

reel man

Sounds simple enough, but the 6-40 screws will not line up, the cavity for the larger main gear is too small in diameter, and finally the gear sleeve (bridge sleeve) is longer because the plastic side plate is thicker.

Swami805

Here's a picture of a 440 with 2 dogs. I'd be willing to send it to someone who'd like to take a crack at doing the modifications. I could send along a couple of bridges too in the name of science. Don't think it would help much for a "magnum".
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

I have fished my 338 pretty hard on snappers and some big sharks without a problem at all. Would I get Tom to add a second dog on a few of my bridge plates. HECK YEAH IN A FLASH, love Tom's work.

Bryan Young

:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

vilters

yeah, what I was thinking was what Mike said - a CUSTOM sideplate machined to accept a different bridge/gear assembly, much like accurates magnum series. I'm not asking for it, just thinking it would be nice. unlike the penns, however, there is a shortage of newell parts, which would make it difficult to  obtain enough bridge/gear assys to make it feasible. a guy can dream though  :D

Sulla

Quote from: Bryan Young on September 15, 2016, 04:24:20 AM
In one of many projects Cortez Conversions is working on, he will be offering a service to double dog 300 and 400 series reels once he has perfected the drilling and assembly.

I'll keep an eye out for that service by Cortez Conversions. I'd try it out on at least a few of my 400 reels.