Fishing the Baja, Gonzaga bay area

Started by steelfish, September 20, 2016, 06:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

hey amigos,
I went fishing this past weekend, it was not the best day, not the best tide, and not the best catches but surely tons x better than a day at the office or a boring Sunday watching TV.
fishing was slow during most of the day, it was just few moments before calling it a day when we found a nice spot with few hungry triggerfish which are tons of fun to catch and trolling around of one of the Islands gave us two decent fish, a leopard grouper and another grouper (I dont know the exact name), one of the guys caught a Reyna grouper ( a bright incandecent yellow grouper) but we wanted it to returned it alive and since we made the release so fast that I forgot to take pictures of the beautiful fish.
anyway, landscapes of the Enchanted Islands are always beautiful

this was our boat at 4:15am

that place was our destination

to the sea we went

a nice big yellow spotted bass, give or take 25" and 8-9#, Baja Special reel got all the action this day

then a decent grouper bit the pink mirrolure, again Baja Special did it really good

I have chance to try the Fathom 40LD2 with some nice triggerfish, man!! just love this reel too, I know triggers are nothing against the 2-speed reel but I have chance to test how to move the lever all over the the way, test the low speed, etc. looking forward try it on a bigger fish now

this is picture from the first Island to the rest of them

many ceviches and few nice dinners over here

in my way back home, still 1hr to go you find this beautiful landscape

now I looking forward my next fishing trip and test the upgraded parts for the Baja Special from Tom (Cortez Convertion)
The Baja Guy

Rancanfish

I can't wait for word on the big fish test of the Baja Cortez.

Thanks for the report, and enjoy all that good ceviche!  My favorite snack.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

johndtuttle

Always wanted to visit that part of the Sea of Cortez. Thanks for sharing!  ;)

Cortez_Conversions

Thanks for sharing,I've gotta get down there!
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

thorhammer

Hey Alex, great report. Love the panga style hull. Scenery awesome and ceviche even awesomer....

John

steelfish

Quote from: thorhammer on September 20, 2016, 07:59:22 PM
Hey Alex, great report. Love the panga style hull. Scenery awesome and ceviche even awesomer....

John

thanks John, that is a nice panga all equiped, floor is flat (redo), center cab, seats, electronics and I give this guys a lot of fishing stickers that some AT.com guys sent me and some others that I already got, give the panga a lot of presentation when fishing with US tourists

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 20, 2016, 06:24:54 PM
I can't wait for word on the big fish test of the Baja Cortez.

Thanks for the report, and enjoy all that good ceviche!  My favorite snack.

I also cant wait to test the Baja Special upgrades.

Quote from: johndtuttle on September 20, 2016, 06:30:11 PM
Always wanted to visit that part of the Sea of Cortez. Thanks for sharing!  ;)
John, you are just few hours away, take some friends, your truck and get over here anytime, late october-early may is the best season

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on September 20, 2016, 06:51:52 PM
Thanks for sharing,I've gotta get down there!

you should do it anytime soon compadre, lots of nice places to fish on the light and medium tackle, with pacience you can catch a big black grouper, not an everyday catch but from time to time you hear someone got one.

The Baja Guy

David Hall

You must almost be neighbors with my son in laws family, they live right on the bay there in Gonzaga.
Nice fishing beautiful water.

steelfish

Quote from: David Hall on September 20, 2016, 08:20:06 PM
You must almost be neighbors with my son in laws family, they live right on the bay there in Gonzaga.
Nice fishing beautiful water.

well, if 60 miles away counts as almost neighbors then I am, I live in San Felipe which is almost 130 miles from the US border, right on Calexico Ca. to the south, the good fishing is in Gonzaga bay, but locally we have some nice corvinas, big white croakers and Sierras (on season).

The Baja Guy

Alto Mare

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Big Tim

RiverAngler

Sounds like you had a great day just relaxing. Good for you! The fish are just a bonus.
Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

swill88

Nos encanta México mi amigo!

Gracias por el informe.

Su amigo, Steve

steelfish

Thanks a lot guys, glad you like the pictures, I wish I could go fishing often, the season is just starting, so, stay tune

Quote from: RiverAngler on September 21, 2016, 01:09:37 AM
Sounds like you had a great day just relaxing. Good for you! The fish are just a bonus.

LOL this remains me a saying we have in our local fishing group,   

I really love going fishing.. catching a fish is just a bonus.. the cherry on the cake

The Baja Guy

STRIPER LOU

Very nice! Man, there's some good eatin there.

Saw some giant grouper at the sea aquarium at Atlantis. Massive fish! So big they almost look prehistoric.
......................Lou

Dominick

Love to eat those trigger fish.  Buen trabajo que alguien tiene que hacerlo. Alex.  :D Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.