Time to ask for help

Started by Saaben, September 22, 2016, 03:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saaben

Evening everyone. Embarrassed to say I have almost 4 hours into this rebuild. I could use some advice. In the pix with the handle laid out are the washers in the order that Scott's had on the website. Unfortunately that leaves a number of leftovers. In addition there is the silver "sleeve" that I have no idea where it goes. In putting all the washers in they do not come flat to the top of the riser on the side plate. Probably the least of my worries. I really struggled getting the internals back in. I got the dog ear in and thought it was perfect but it "clicks" all the time and I cannot figure out why I cannot make it silent like my new model. The side plate where you turn on and off the clicker is not even on the reel at this point. In addition when turning handle it will not spin the spool.  last but not least I have 4 sets of different size screws which again has me baffled. I am sure if I ever take another apart I can shave about 2-3 hours off. Please do not send any reels my way for repair. Thanks

Rancanfish

Make sure you tighten down the drag(with the star), and put it in gear or nothing will happen when you turn the handle.

The chrome spacer goes over the sleeve and under the star. 

Get yourself a schematic and start learning the lingo.  If you use the correct term it is much easier to let you know what part to grab next.  It's a process you have to go through.

Clickers are not silent unless they have a lot of grease on them.

Typically the shorter screws go in the foot/stand.

The side plate pic looks good and that is the toughest part of the assembly.  You are doing fine, don't get frustrated.  It took me 4 or 5 repeats sometimes to get through a reel.  I still don't like spinning reels.

Post a pic with the plate flipped over so we can see where you are. 
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Shark Hunter

No need to be embarrassed Saaben. Also No need to worry about the clicking. It is normal on a reel that is not greased so much it silences it.
You have four sets of screws for four different reasons. The two shorter sets go on the stand. (the non handle plate) The two long sets go on the handle side. The shorter of the two on the stand.
Not sure what is going on with that drag stack. Looks like a lot is missing.
Are you sure you have a 9/0 there? That looks like a 6/0 stack.
Don't get discouraged. We can figure this out.
Life is Good!

cbar45

You did a good job grouping those screws by size. From left to right in your photo:

5 Long Screws--Right Sideplate (Posts)

5 Short Screws--Left Sideplate (Posts)

3 Long Screws--Right Sideplate (Stand)

3 Short Screws--Left Sideplate (Stand)

Saaben

Sorry, long day. You are correct it is a 6/0. Here is the other side of the plates. Can I just keep stacking washers in there till it level with the plastic housing coming out of the frame? In regards to the clicker, I am referring to the dog ear. It catches the teeth to ensure it does not go backwards, right? There does not seem to be  mechanism to free it up so that it can free spool. My other 9/0, when I hit the clicker on the side plate it makes it silent so when reeling you do not hear anything. Here with this one every time I turn the handle it "clicks". I need to take a break from this thing. I usually get up at 3am. Not tomorrow. I shall give it another go tomorrow night. Really appreciate the help.

Tightlines667

It actually looks like you are missing a few washers.  With carbonfiber drag upgrade, their should be 3 or 4 fitted, 2 eared, 5 CF, a larger diameter/ heavy spring, and 2 smaller diameter spring washers.

First in is the brown/orangish or black fiber or plastic friction under gear washer, then the main gear... then a cf (carbonfiber), then a fitted (does not turn on the gear sleeve) metal washer, then a CF, then eared, CF, then fitted, etc.. then heavy large spring, then felt (if you have it), then the collared metal washer, then the chromed bronze bushing, then the heavy wavy/spring washer, then the star, then the light spring washer, the handle, retaining nut, and set screw.

Or something similar depending on if you have thick or thin metal washers.  Follow the schematic, tutorials, and diagram on scott's site or in your penn manual.

Don't get discouraged.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Gfish

Saaben, if you need another drag washer diagram, try the: Smooothdrag website, under "installation instructions". I think that's close to accurate with the name and section title. They'll have a 6 washer example ana 10 washer example-yours( that's 5 carbon fibers + 5 metals).
The lever puts the reel into free spool by disengaging the pinion gear from the spool and any right side gears or anti-reverse dog ears. The clicker button on the left side dosen't have any anti-reverse function but does provide sound and friction when pushed towards the bearing(middle). Sorry, if I'm over-explaining it, but I don't know what you know, or don't. Push it outward for free spool applications with the lever pulled backward towards you, shouldn't be any clicking. Pushing the lever forward will put the reel in gear(spool mated to pinion gear) and there should always be at least a slight click sound. That's how they'r made. My first time only took about 30 seconds, no wait... I mean my first Senator rebuild took about 8 hr., total.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

RowdyW

The eccenrric lever on the outside of the plate is on backwards. The edge of the plate acts as a stop both directions. Are you using 3 CF washers or 5. If you are using new CF washers you will need 5. You will also need 3 or maybe 4 metal keyed washers if you need an extra for a spacer for height & 2 eared metal washers. On top of that is the felt washer & chrome washer, then the spacersleeve, then the thick wavy washer, then the drag star. The thin wavy washer goes next, then the handle & handle screw, The thin wavy washer is not always neccesary if the drag can not be backed off far enough.                        Rudy

sdlehr

Saaben, I know you're new to this, so please accept this in the constructive manner it is intended. The AR (anti-reverse) dog (not dog ear) keeps the handle from going in the reverse direction, it engages the ratchet on the gear sleeve. That will click when you turn the handle unless, as others have said, it is so heavily greased that the grease gets in the way of the two metal pieces hitting each other hard enough to make a clicking sound. Then you've got the clicker on the left side plate that can be engaged or disengaged so that it will click or be silent when the spool turns. If you don't yet have the reel assembled that can't be making any sound.

Go here https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/114_post.pdf and study the schematic and the part names so we can help you. It looks like you started out with a 3-stack drag and are replacing it with a 5-stack. That's OK, the metal drag washers alternate CF-keyed-CF-eared-CF-keyed-CF-eared-CF-keyed. Also go to http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=208.0 and go through the tutorial, now that you know the names of the parts. Note the proper position of the eccentric lever, yours is upside down.

We've all done our first reel and had problems. After you do a few Senators (they're all pretty much the same) you'll be able to assemble one blindfolded with one hand :), but you need a schematic to know you're doing it right.

Hope this helps, if you have questions there's a bunch of us here to help. Ask away.

Sid

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Saaben

Top of the day to everyone. After a good night sleep I think I am ready to tackle this thing again. I will start again after I get home tonight. At the very least I am going to get it all back together and tell the wife we now have something to put on the mantle. I continue to be extremely grateful and amazed how much everyone on this board is so supportive. I could not do it without everyone's help. Thanks!!

mizmo67

Assuming that this is not one of the rarer black 114H reels (it would say 114H on the plate next to where it says 6/0, instead of saying just 114) I can't read it in the photo of the plate.

This would be the schematic:
https://www.mysticparts.com/Assets/images/pennparts/schematics/114_post.pdf

I also see the outside access drag cover there in one of the photos, so that's an extra bit that needs to go back on. You'll see that part and it's accompanying felt washer over to the right on the schematic in a side note box.

You'd have the new stack of washers inside the main gear, as shown in our photo of the stack:
https://www.mysticparts.com/PennParts/Parts/6-114SP.aspx
Left in the photo is the first one into the gear, and so on to the right.

The you'd have the 136 outside access collar (neck turned down towards the drag stack) with the 140 felt collar if it is still intact/there, fitted around that neck).

Then the #9 collar, the old style which would be a little shorter than a new one, if you just bought one. Penn made them longer/taller when they made the newer plates without the outside access plate.

Then the two  bellevilles one on either side of the star.

Hope that helps, rather than making it more confusing.

The

~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

RowdyW

Mo, on the 114-H Blackie the logo is on the left of the eccentric lever & on the 114 6/0 the logo is to the right. Also the photo of the right plate shows a bushing to support the spool & on all 114H's they have ball bearings. Hope that helps to make identification.     Rudy

mizmo67

See, that's stuff I didn't even notice in the photo while fielding the post in between calls!
Been that kind of day.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

thorhammer

Saaben, I have 21 Jigmasters that I have built from ground up, in addition to dozens of other similarly constructed Penns. I will have  22 when I figure out one 500S sideplate that has eluded me for six months. I was on the verge of having Sal fix it but forgot it in my luggage so I'm swapping every part as I get a minute, because I'm hard-headed. Point is, whether your first reel or 100th, you might get a curveball and need to step away for a minute, as you have. I've put a reel together several times because I used wrong pinion out of a pan while not wearing glasses (agan, stubborn). The responses you have on this thread are basically from Carol Shelby about your Mustang....no better forum. You'll get it.

John

sdlehr

Saaben, we're all involved in your project, how'd it go?

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector