Lee Pro Plates Bushing / Bearing

Started by JRD, October 08, 2016, 04:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JRD

I came across this Lee Pro plate jigmaster.  It was disclosed to have a problem, no biggy the pinion was stuck on the spool shaft.  BUT I removed the bearing cups expecting to service or change bearings and instead found bushings, one of which is shaped like a nipple.  We're these standard Lee Pro or?  What have other members done to upgrade to a bearing?

Maxed Out

I'm thinking perhaps sideplates are for 505 ?? ...and those bushings have adapted a 500 spool to the reel.....total guess

BTW, very nice reel !!

Ted
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

JRD

Turns out it a 99 size spool and frame.  Extra bonus.  But adjustment of the spool is difficult if the handle side cup is screwed in too far the bushing hits the pinion.  I'm gonna play with some bearings and see if I can get it to go.

Cortez_Conversions

I think I've only seen bushings in those reels. Try swapping the bushing from side to side, that may help center the spool.
Tom
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

JRD

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on October 08, 2016, 10:50:57 PM
I think I've only seen bushings in those reels. Try swapping the bushing from side to side, that may help center the spool.
Tom

Thank you! 

eguinn

Those bushings where standard issue in the Lee Pro reels.Those bushings where made from a special material called Oil Lite Bronze, That material had oil in it somehow, that's the way the material came before machining. On the reels that I had I would get freespool times that would compare to a reel that had bearings in it, just clean them real well & ad a drop of oil & you are good to go. The bushing with the nipple is the right side bearing or bushing in this case. Adjustment should be made the same way as you would on any Newell reel, try the different colored split washers on the bearing cup until you get the spool centered up, of course this is done with the left side bearing backed off. The other thing is that these reels need to use a P or Blackis Series spool in them because of the difference in length of the spindle where it goes into the bearing, if you don't have a P series spool you can use a Newell or Penn spool in the reel but you need to ad a 1/16" spacer on the ends of the spool to shorten up the length of the area where it goes into the bearing or bushing, take 2 spools & look at them side by side & the difference in the length of the shafts is easy to see. You van always update these reels with bearings instead of bushings if you want to, you will need to use standard or abec 5 or 7 bearings in them, the same bearing you would use in a Newell reel,my next project to try is to put a BP double dog bridge plate in 1 of my reels.

JRD

Quote from: eguinn on October 09, 2016, 02:58:16 PM
Those bushings where standard issue in the Lee Pro reels.Those bushings where made from a special material called Oil Lite Bronze, That material had oil in it somehow, that's the way the material came before machining. On the reels that I had I would get freespool times that would compare to a reel that had bearings in it, just clean them real well & ad a drop of oil & you are good to go. The bushing with the nipple is the right side bearing or bushing in this case. Adjustment should be made the same way as you would on any Newell reel, try the different colored split washers on the bearing cup until you get the spool centered up, of course this is done with the left side bearing backed off. The other thing is that these reels need to use a P or Blackis Series spool in them because of the difference in length of the spindle where it goes into the bearing, if you don't have a P series spool you can use a Newell or Penn spool in the reel but you need to ad a 1/16" spacer on the ends of the spool to shorten up the length of the area where it goes into the bearing or bushing, take 2 spools & look at them side by side & the difference in the length of the shafts is easy to see.  

Thank you, that's the info I needed.