glue for penn sideplate (bakelite?)

Started by q3fishboy, October 02, 2016, 05:11:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

q3fishboy

Have a penn 155 beach master with black side plates that I assume are bakelite.

Cracked the side plate and would like to try and glue it back together.

Was just wondering what adhesive you guys might suggest.

Thanks a bunch.

Gfish

Slow drying 2 part epoxie worked for me.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

X2 on the expoxy. I cracked one too and used 2 hose clamps joined together to apply pressure while it's drying. You can use 1 big one but 2 allows you to even out the pressure. Wipe off the excess that's squeezed out and you should be good to go.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Alto Mare

Epoxy is good stuff. Although it is always nice to fix things, I'm going to recommend for you to purchase a replacement plate online, especially if you need to purchase the epoxy.
Those plates are very reasonable in cost and it will definitely be a better job.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

mo65

Sal makes a very good point. A little searching online will produce a side plate for possibly less than the cost of the epoxy...unless it's dollar store epoxy...which will just waste your time. I've glued a few plates successfully but could never get rid of the crack, it always seems to show. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

reelrepair123

is it the right or left sideplate, let me know i probably got one to send you,  pm me your plate needed and your address.  harryk

q3fishboy

Thanks so much for all of the advice and offers.

I actually have a couple of these reels that I donated to the research lab that I am for use during field sampling.

They have gotten pretty beat up so I actually have both a broken right side plate and left side plate.

I have some 2 part marine epoxy I bought for attaching a reel seat so I will probably try that.

Thanks again.

Rancanfish

Like anything we work on it depends on where the crack is. 

I had a piece crack off the inside of a sideplate around a screw hole and marine waterproof epoxy made the side plate stronger than before.  It then had an invisible (from the outside) reinforced area.

I would rather have a new plate, but for fishing it's more reliable now.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

mizmo67

Quote from: Rancanfish on October 06, 2016, 04:16:49 PM
Like anything we work on it depends on where the crack is. 

Exactly. If it's cracked across the bridge area? There's a lot of pressure there when under load. Not sure how epoxy would hold up.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Rancanfish

I think I would agree with you there Mo.  That would be fixing a broken back, lol.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

q3fishboy

On the right side plate, the post to keep the eccentric jack in alignment broke off.

On the left side plate, the entire side plate cracked in half.

All of these penn 155s are only used by non-anglers and fairly infrequently.

They are used to target shallow water (<60 feet) rockfish for scientific research.

RowdyW

Quote from: q3fishboy on October 08, 2016, 05:15:36 AM
On the right side plate, the post to keep the eccentric jack in alignment broke off.

On the left side plate, the entire side plate cracked in half.

All of these penn 155s are only used by non-anglers and fairly infrequently.

They are used to target shallow water (<60 feet) rockfish for scientific research.
I fixed a 114 6/0 right plate by drilling a hole in the plate (but not through it) & placing a steel rod in with epoxy. As far as the left plate I would just pick one up off of fleabay. Or just look for a replacement reel there & keep the old one for spare parts.            Rudy