Land Sharking in Alaska - Three videos, new one shows landing a shark by hand

Started by Steve-O, September 28, 2016, 07:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve-O

Not too sure how to embed a video but here goes nothin'

This is around the 4-5th Spiny Dogfish Shark I caught after getting my Salmon limit in the morning.

At the beginning, I thought the shark had taken the bait for a swim but later dropped it.

Not the case as it had eaten the bait and swum back under the dock I was fishing from.

As it comes out from under the dock, another following shark is visible for a short time.

This happened two or three times.

This is also the one I got careless with and ended up having the shark spear me in the ankle THROUGH the boot. He put the  SPINE back into SPINY Dogfish by demonstrating his use of said spine on me.

Not much of a wound as the boot slowed down the penetration greatly.

Rancanfish

Whoa, you just commented yesterday about those moving thorns too.  Ouch I bet.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Steve-O

Quote from: Rancanfish on September 28, 2016, 07:31:11 PM
Whoa, you just commented yesterday about those moving thorns too.  Ouch I bet.

Yep, mama always said "Stupid is as stupid does".

Lucky I didn't get whacked more than that.

Got the video right.

It's raw so as it happened you see it.

this is the bugger that does the most damage as the tail flails.

The exposed spine is 2 plus inches and more down under the skin. Diameter of the spine at the base is about 1/4"  and plenty sharp on the end. It pierced the boot like a fillet knife would.

Steve-O

Another short clip. This was the very first one I caught on a GLoomis 1086 salmon rod with an Abu Garcia Inshore baitcaster reel using a jumbo power handle I swapped off my Okuma Komodo. Fit was same on both reels.

Line was 20# PowerPro. 8/0 Gamakatsu circle hook, braided steel leader with nylon coating, weight for casting. Bait was piece of Pink Salmon belly.

This fish was right at 4 feet and 22 pounds.

hurt locker

Keta

That is why they are called spiney dogfish.  I hate them and blue sharks.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Steve-O

Quote from: Keta on September 28, 2016, 09:18:27 PM
That is why they are called spiney dogfish.  I hate them and blue sharks.

Well, Lee, that is a true SE AK answer....both the lodge owner where I stay and the one who let me fish off his dock said the same.

Basically- kill 'em all.

I can easily see the attitude as they are to a charter guide a real nuiscance to deal with.

Not a "money fish" like Salmon and Halibut are.  Tough skin, a mess to deal wih once hooked and will wreck the terminal tackle with all the spinning they do trying to get loose. Nothing you want on your boat either.

Keta

I did not kill them but they drove us from good halibut fishing areas when they were there. They are not good to eat too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Steve-O

Yea, that's what I hear, too. Not really kill 'em all. Just irritating so that you have to move far enough away to re- find a good halibut zone.

If there's dogfish down there....you pull up and move.

I'm in it for angling fun since salmon are limited out.

newport

Dogfish don't get the respect they deserve. I believe they have the longest gestation period of any sharks, up to 3 yrs I believe. Sexual maturity is very long too. A 20lber can easily be over 70 yrs old. Look it up!

Keta

Mark Twain

Steve-O

Quote from: newport on September 29, 2016, 04:51:37 AM
Dogfish don't get the respect they deserve. I believe they have the longest gestation period of any sharks, up to 3 yrs I believe. Sexual maturity is very long too. A 20lber can easily be over 70 yrs old. Look it up!

Looks like I may researching my quarry further. The first one I caught was female and probably expecting because of her girth.

Still might harvest one or two next year to eat.

But I feel good about the ones I released only had a pierced lip and a scary memory of the world above their watery one below. ;)

Steve-O

This video was shot from the camera on the tripod nearby vs the one on my noggin.

It shows the "clean and jerk" landing technique and also how tough even a small fish like this can be to manage due to it's squirming nature and cartilaginous skeleton.

Enjoy.

Cone

Thanks for the great videos. It looks like you are having fun. Too bad about the one getting you with its spine. Be careful!
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD