Extra Large Cobia

Started by Newell Nut, September 28, 2016, 07:33:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Got this 65 lb slob of cobia Saturday on the Pastime Princess and my biggest. Big Mike said it was the largest that he has pulled over the rail on the Pastime. When I saw that thing break the surface at the boat I was shocked at the size and was very excited as I was screaming for the gaf. ;D

Aiala

WOW, what a beast!! That's one for the books.  :o

Congrats and well done, Dwight! What outfit were you using? (A Newell of course, but what rod? One of your own, I hope?)   :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Newell Nut

Quote from: Aiala on September 28, 2016, 07:58:41 PM
WOW, what a beast!! That's one for the books.  :o

Congrats and well done, Dwight! What outfit were you using? (A Newell of course, but what rod? One of your own, I hope?)   :)

~A~

The rod was built by my teacher. It is a GTS70XH 50-100 Hercules and the reel is my customized Newell 631-3 with a 7 stack drag and a P533 base which gives it a lower profile on the rod and feels like a 500 series with a little more winch power. I have been testing Adam's titanium handle on this reel as well and it works great.

Steve-O

WOW! Dwight, awesome fish!  maybe not enough to test the big guns mettle ( your biceps  ;) )  but certainly enough to get the adrenaline going.

Congrats!   can you say "I love cobia steaks and fish tacos!" ?

RiverAngler

Parents don't frame pictures of their kids playing video games. Take them fishing!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

hurt locker

Great Fish!!! Congratulations!!

STRIPER LOU

Its a beauty Dwight!!!
..........Lou

Big Tim

Dominick

Quote from: hurt locker on September 28, 2016, 09:13:44 PM
Great Fish!!! Congratulations!!
Quote from: STRIPER LOU on September 28, 2016, 10:50:10 PM
Its a beauty Dwight!!!
..........Lou
Quote from: Big Tim on September 28, 2016, 11:00:03 PM
Sweet Dwight!

Bt
My name is Dominick and I approve of these messages. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

conchydong

That's a slob! Way to go Dwight.

Scott

handi2

Nice fish..!!

That fish would win big money around here if caught during a spring tournament.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Newell Nut

Quote from: handi2 on September 28, 2016, 11:42:44 PM
Nice fish..!!

That fish would win big money around here if caught during a spring tournament.

I waited 67 years for that one. Odds of doing it again are pretty slim. Those that have not tried cobia, it is a very tasty fish. I gave half to the Captain and he said his family ate every bit of it by Sunday evening. I vacuumed a bunch of my steaks for later. Captain George started drooling when it came over the rail since it is his favorite fish. My Virginia buddy that was fishing next to me got all the belly meat and our galley girl begged for the head for her Asian manicurist so that fish has made a lot of people happy.
It is a great way to remember my final days on the Pastime Princess. She has lost her lease here and will be leased to a new owner in Cape Canaveral at the end of Oct.

Dwight

steelhead_killer

Jackpot winner?  Troghy!

Andy
><)))">

steelhead_killer

><)))">