Shimano TT80 drag material

Started by Navidad Nutcase, September 16, 2016, 02:51:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Navidad Nutcase

well, I've been on this site for 4 years as a guest just searching for tips on reel problems. What a great site. Always found the answer - until now. So I had to join or stay stumped.
The problem is a shimano TT80W - my first Shimano strip down. I finally got the cooling shield off the drag housing after soaking, tapping and lastly heating the edge of the housing. That did it. What a salty mess inside. I'd say that cooling shield had never been off, except for one thing. There was a kinda carbon fiber looking drag washer glued to the pressure plate. On the side facing the heat shield.Doesn't really look like my carbon fiber sheet. Anyway,  It had gotten salt deposits under it . so I heated the plate and pealed the thing off.
My Question (I don't have another Shimano to compare with ) is this.  Is that washer original equipment and if so, why didn,t Shimano use the same type of material on the inside drag washer? (an off white material - not asbestos)
The rest of the reel is in excellent shape. Obviously serviced regularly except for under that cooling shield.
And finally, I have a sheet of carbon fiber material purchased from CFDRAG out of california. What type of adhesive do you recommend ?

Sorry I first posted this on a year old thread, thought better and re-posted here.

thanks for any and all help
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.

Bryan Young

The off white material was a canvas material. It was good at the time and was not effective once it got wet like most fabrics that absorb water and may change its shape when wet.

Others have replaced such material with CF material by gluing using high temperature epoxy. You don't need much, a thin layer. You may need to build up the layers until you get the right thickness though.

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Navidad Nutcase

thank you for your imput RW. When you say "build it up to get the right thickness" I'm assuming you mean the epoxy. paint a layer on, let it dry. Paint another layer. etc. NOT add layers of carbon fiber . I am going to replace the bottom drag washer as well, with Carbon fiber. The reel will be in good shape all round then. I'm thinking both drag washers should be of the same material.
Don't criticize our kids. We too were once "young n' dumb".... Fortunately - and sadly - neither condition is permanent.