Hurricane Mathew

Started by Bill B, October 01, 2016, 05:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlehr

Quote from: Long Enuff on October 06, 2016, 10:11:07 PM
Sid I had the same experience here in Charleston when Hugo came through.  It looked like a war zone.  We walked down the road a block, turned around and didn't know where we were. The landscape changed so much, so many trees down, you totally lost your bearings. People don't understand it unless they have experienced it.
Weird, isn't it? You're a quarter mile from home and nothing looks familiar... thankfully nothing like that happened this time around. Looks like we might get another shot at this low pressure in about 5 days as it loops back around to come at us again - much attenuated, thankfully.

Sid
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

Bryan Young

Hurricanes are no laughing matter.  Be safe out there.  Hopefully no one is putting others in danger being out there, like reporters.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

conchydong

In S. Florida, we got lucky as Mathew stayed offshore quite a distance and was basically a non-event. It is creeping closer to the coast as it heads north though and it causing a lot more damage in Central  Florida. 

mizmo67

The eye is north and on the ocean, from where my mom and aunt are (Stuart) so I'm relaxing a little.
Been a tense couple of days. They were ready for it..hurricane shutters down, stocked up and the VFW guys came by to make sure their generator was in working order in case they needed it.

Hopefully, it will go out to sea and NOT double back.
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

Dominick

Quote from: mizmo67 on October 07, 2016, 05:01:43 PM
The eye is north and on the ocean, from where my mom and aunt are (Stuart) so I'm relaxing a little.
Been a tense couple of days. They were ready for it..hurricane shutters down, stocked up and the VFW guys came by to make sure their generator was in working order in case they needed it.

Hopefully, it will go out to sea and NOT double back.
That's people helping people.  The members on this site understand that.  According to the weather channel it looks like the hurricane will hit the coast and might double back as a tropical storm.  Florida might get burned twice.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

mizmo67

The VFW and Elks clubs down there are tight folks...they look out for each other.

Yes, that is my worry.. that darned Nicole is out there doing loop-de-loops that might combine with and/or push Matthew back inland.
Waiting game!
~Mo

Maureen Albertson :)
Scott's Bait & Tackle / Mystic Reel Parts (Formerly PennParts.com)
Contact Me Via Store Website Please!
Orders/Support# +1 (609) 488-4637 (parts ordering or troubleshooting)
customerservice@mysticparts.com

RowdyW

Well Matthew is gone for now but might swing around & come back. But if it does it won't have any power left in it. The farther it went above central FL' the closer the eye came to shore. Northeast FL. got slammed the hardest. In Southeast FL. we are already back to buisness as usual.     Rudy

Bill B

Good to hear S. Fla. is good.....thanks for checking in Rudy.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Alto Mare

Quote from: TARFU on October 08, 2016, 05:37:10 PM
Good to hear S. Fla. is good.....thanks for checking in Rudy.....Bill
X2...glad to hear you guys are ok.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bill B

I think the USGS had it pretty close, socal just had a good earthquake, three minutes ago..... :o Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

conchydong

Earthquakes are scary. Something you cannot prepare for. Hope all is well for the S. Cal folks

Three se7ens

From the pictures Ive seen and reports from friends who have stayed, Savannah area got hit hard.  We evacuated, but are heading back tomorrow.  My parents and one of my brothers evacuated as well, and my other brother who stayed was much farther inland.  I believe none of our houses suffered major damage based on reports and pictures from neighbors that stayed.  But many in the area were not so fortunate. 

Ill post more when I can. 

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Long Enuff

All is well at the Creek.  Lots of debris to clean up, but power is back on and no major damage. Usually, we seem to get hit a night, but watching all that wind lay the trees down in the daylight was something else.

oc1

Hope everyone and their stuff is OK.  With a track like that, Matthew must have taken out a bunch of fishing piers.  There are about fifty ocean front piers between Miami and Chesapeake.
-steve