Ok...Need some advise

Started by Bill B, November 14, 2016, 05:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akfish

I always use large single hooks for salmon -- like 6/0 or 7/0 -- and a long soft action rod with mono. Salmon mouths are soft and it's easy to pull the hooks so the stretch of mono plus a soft rod seems to work best, at least for me. If it means anything, every commercial fisherman I know uses large single hooks. They do apply more pressure to the fish than I do, but we agree on the hooks. That said, some fish just get off! One day last year I had three big kings up to the boat only to lose them. It's probably because I'm just a bad fisherman.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Swami805

Another aspect of using that type of jig is sometimes the hook will fall out from the weight of it if there's any slack. That and sometimes fish just come un-buttoned, happens to everyone. You didn't loose 2 fish, you conserved our natural resources.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bill B

Thanks for all the input.....I will be trying the single hook and a medium action rod on the next trip...below are examples of the jigs we have had success using....the black jig is a 2 oz Silvertron Slammer with a Gamugatsu treble.....One thing I have been noticing over the last three years the solid colors, black, dark purple, etc have been hooking salmon in the mouth and the more colorful have been foul hooking salmon....almost three to one each way

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Gfish

Thanks for pictures/reply. Based ona recent thread I'mna get some a the "inline" single hooks and start putin 'em on most a the lures I got. Trout/Salmon species(esp. The larger ones) do a-lota head shakin, it seems. What Humboldtdan and others've said makes sense.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Tiddlerbasher

I find assist style rigging seems to reduce fish loss due to hook throws. All of my casting iron is rigged with a single hook on Kevlar cord.

Bill B

I was just wondering about it this morning......I like the idea.....Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!