Slight Handle Bind When Drags Buttoned Down

Started by russ1962, August 09, 2016, 06:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

russ1962

Quote from: PacRat on August 10, 2016, 10:45:07 PM
Here's something that helped me with a similar problem. If your gear-sleeve is held on with a screw rather than a c-clip, check to see if the inside of the handle nut is rubbing on top of the gear-sleeve screw. If it is you can use an additional washer on top of the handle (under the handle nut) or get a screw with a flatter head.
Good luck
Mike

It's a C-clip.
Thanks for suggestion.

russ1962

OK, I took it apart and re-assembled it and it's still got that same slight drag in the same spot. It's so, so slight that I don't think anybody would ever notice.
I did install new carbontex not too long ago and am beginning to wonder if that might be related to the issue.
I'll put it on a scale and find out at what point I notice it.

PacRat

If you have another Newell (or even just a set of gears), swap out the main gear.

-If the problem goes away, the culprit is the main gear and it will need further inspection and/or cleaning. This could be just one bad gear tooth or debris caught between teeth. I say to check the main first because your bad spot comes up one every full turn of the handle.

-If the problem remains, the culprit lies in the bridge/gear sleeve or drag stack.

Mike

bluefish69

Also check the Yoke. If there is a ware spot in the horse shoe then the Pinion will not ride straight to the main gear.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

russ1962

Quote from: PacRat on August 13, 2016, 02:40:51 AM
If you have another Newell (or even just a set of gears), swap out the main gear.

-If the problem goes away, the culprit is the main gear and it will need further inspection and/or cleaning. This could be just one bad gear tooth or debris caught between teeth. I say to check the main first because your bad spot comes up one every full turn of the handle.

-If the problem remains, the culprit lies in the bridge/gear sleeve or drag stack.

Mike

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

russ1962

Quote from: bluefish69 on August 13, 2016, 03:37:22 AM
Also check the Yoke. If there is a ware spot in the horse shoe then the Pinion will not ride straight to the main gear.

Mike

Thanks! I'll take a look.

russ1962

Everything seems fine with the gears and yoke.
I guess just it's just part of this reel's personality. :)

Perhaps a few of the other Newell owners on this board can check their P series reels and see if they notice anything at the 12:00 position when tightening down the drags?
It's very, very slight.
Again, not a hindrance in any way. Just something I noticed.
Thanks !

russ1962

Update: I took it apart again, re-assembled, and slight handle bind is gone. Still not sure what was causing it, but I'm happy!
Thanks for all the suggestions. :)