Jigmaster spools

Started by Legal Bill, March 13, 2014, 08:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucktail

Try covering the spools with electrical tape before loading the wire.
Just a jig-a-lo

Legal Bill

I'd be concerned that the wire would ball the tape up, but it might be worth a try.

Rothmar2

I have a SS spool for my project reel, and have been able to back the clamp nuts off from each end OK.
Any idea how to disassemble the spools from there? I would like to be able to remove the cheek pieces and remake sleeve that sits between them, as the current sleeve is pitted.
Are the cheeks pressed up onto a taper or are they an interference fit onto the arbour? There was a reasonable amount of oil under the nuts, and no sign of salt intrusion, so am pretty confident the cheeks shouldn't be seized.
Any advice much appreciated.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rothmar2

How much of a tap was required to get the cheek moving, or did you support the cheek and use a press on the shaft?

Keta

Support it (not on the edge) or you will warp the spool.  I used a press but a soft hammer should work.  Many lite taps work better than a few hard ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Rothmar2

Cheers Lee, will use the press at work then. Thanks for that.

STRIPER LOU

Hey Legal Bill,
Although its not recommended, I've been using SS wire line on aluminum spools for years. All I do every once in a while is rub a small amount of marine grease on the spool, especially on the sides and that's it! Start of with a fresh spool, grease, add your Dacron backing and your wire and your good to go. I have a large backyard and several times a season I'll stretch the line out and regrease the spool. I also keep some spray grease on the boat and hit it every once in a while when all the line is out. I have never ruined an aluminum spool yet. Keeping it clean and greased is all I've ever done to mine.

On some of my very old reels they may have a small amount of corrosion but for the use they've seen I think its minimal.
The only reason I use the aluminum is to keep the weight of the outfit as light as possible.
Again its not what most people do but been going that way for a long time.
.........................Lou

Legal Bill

broadway

Bill
   I use the chromed over spools for wire but can understand what Lou is saying about trying to keep things as light as possible.  Boeshield does a nice job on the wire and the spool. Another thing I do is every year I flip my wire around so that the bottom is now the top and the top is now the bottom.  It gets you another season out of your wire.  You will get corrosion no matter what spool you use with wire but it can be kept to a minimum by using some of the suggestions here. I would steer clear of tape because when saltwater gets under the tape it will corrode even worse than with no tape.
All the best,
Dom

Legal Bill

Thanks Dom.  I've spooled one with lead core, which seemed to be a good compromise.