Nep-Tuna 349HC

Started by Bill B, October 22, 2016, 05:30:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

First, NICE!!!

Now, why did you do this to me?  It could have been any other Penn reel and it would have been cool, it is a 349 and now I must find one.... Missed 2 on e-bay, hope I was out bid by one of us.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

Quote from: Keta on November 12, 2016, 03:27:08 PM
First, NICE!!!

Now, why did you do this to me?  It could have been any other Penn reel and it would have been cool, it is a 349 and now I must find one.... Missed 2 on e-bay, hope I was out bid by one of us.

I had my eye on those too.  

Bill, great job on the one above!  Looks like a match made in heaven.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cortez_Conversions

Quote from: noyb72 on November 11, 2016, 11:02:17 PM
I am at a loss for words. Stupendous?
All I know is, I want one.
Ron
My thoughts exactly Ron!
What's one more addiction??
Visit: cortezconversions.com
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.-Sal

swill88

Quote from: Cortez_Conversions on November 12, 2016, 07:09:02 PM
Quote from: noyb72 on November 11, 2016, 11:02:17 PM
I am at a loss for words. Stupendous?
All I know is, I want one.
Ron
My thoughts exactly Ron!
What's one more addiction??

X3... WOW

coolest beans brother!

broadway

Nice work, Bill. You've put a lot of hard work in that set up and deserve a fish on it, but then put it on a shelf and enjoy it.  It's a testament to how we get things done around here... Together!
I bid on both of those cradles last week but couldn't get to the price they went for as they both needed work and didn't know what was entailed.
All the best on your first trip out.
Well done,
Dom

Alto Mare

Great job Bill, with the help of many others here. Making this one a well deserved sticky.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 13, 2016, 01:46:01 AM
Great job Bill, with the help of many others here. Making this one a well deserved sticky.

Sal

Good call Sal.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bill B

Thank you for all the kind words and the sticky....as Sal stated this has been an intense community effort, without the assistance this would have been a long term rebuild, but with Tim, John, Fred and Sheridan's help it came together really fast...a special thank you to Sheridan for the rod guides and answers to my seemingly endless emails for advice...one component remaining and then the full reveal, and a quick overview of what it took to rebuild this classic.  And my apologies to infecting others with the Nep-Tuna virus....but will have to say Mike Cacioppo is "Ground Zero" for this  ;D.....the write-up in his book The Chronological History of Penn Reels is a must read......Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

thorhammer

Tip should arrive in a couple days. These have to be cut off so you will need to drill out the glas. Sand your blank to fit and you are in business. Use hot glue cement and wrap over the tube then apply finish. I always do this because especially on heavier rods tip cement will shear under torque.
I never epoxy a tip in the tube because you are screwed if you need to replace; like if we find a nicer one. I'm tardy, my bad!!!!

mo65

This thread has been fun Bill...great work! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Bill B

Cool beans brother.....thank you for the tip and advice....I would have wrapped just to the tube and not over it....will over wrap it now....Thank you for the kind words Mo...this has been an education, lots of different aspects to this build....about the only thing not touched was the male ferrule that inserts into the cradle....Bill

thorhammer

overwrap of tip....

Bill B

Thank you for the photo John....I have a plan on what I will be doing now....Bill

thorhammer

coastal_dan

Dan from Philadelphia...

Where Land Ends Life Begins...