14/0 Sleeve Slop

Started by Shark Hunter, October 17, 2016, 09:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I picked up this reel last week from a Guy in Arkansas.
Said it was too much for him. New Production and looks very good.
I'm Curious to see how it looks inside, being new and all.
First thing I notice is the sleeve has way too much lateral play.
Looks greased well. Hey, there is an ss dog in there.
Somebody beat me to it, but the stack is still dry as a bone.
I have to get up at 5am. I'll finish this later. I'm out of time.
Life is Good!

Shark Hunter

Sorry for the lack of assembly pictures, but I had to get to bed.
12 Hour days again this week. Ugh!
The dog spring seems to have vanished, Had to get a spare.
SS Sleeve and two shims tightened it right up. Stack all greased, ready to go.
Life is Good!

David Hall

Score another for the shark man.  That beauty looks like it just came out of the box now.
FYI. I will be trying out that 20/0 steel leader you sent me later this week.  I'll let you know how it goes.

RowdyW

Daron, if it takes 2 shims under the sleeve to take out the slop aren't you raising the sleeve to high to possibly get full contact with the dog? Shouldn't you shim under the dog also? How are you measureing for full contact of the dog? I know if you shim the dog to much it will rub the bridge but it seems like it should be shimmed somewhat.  ???      Rudy

Shark Hunter

The shims I use are .010 Thousandths. 3/8" x 5/8"
Just about every Senator needs two. New or old.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-shims/=14ocl3q
Life is Good!

RowdyW

For every .010 shim under the sleeve I think an equal shim should be put under the dog. If your sleeve is .020 above the bridge then the dog should be .020 above the bridge.

Shark Hunter

Different strokes for different folks. ;)
That dog isn't going anywhere buddy.
Most Senators have that slop and people fish them every day. It just bothers me when the handle moves in and out.
Life is Good!

RowdyW

That's the same as saying with the pin in the sleeve it's not going anywhere. I don't have a spare plate around but I am curious as to how sloppy the dog is. I know it is a sloppy fit on the bridge screw. If you try to blueprint a reel then all slop should be taken out. I've taken a number of reels apart that had a lot of use & noticed that the dogs on alot of them are not hitting all the way across the sleeve tooth. The worst case of misalighnment I've seen came out of a 12/0. Only 1/3 of the dog was making contact which ruined both the dog & the sleeve.

Shark Hunter

The 14 and 16/0 are a little different than other Senators.
Everything is super sized in these reels. The dogs are gigantic and can possibly be shimmed if you know how to shave .020 from the plate.
I don't have the equipment for that.
The main dog rides on a brass pin that seats in the bridge and goes against the plate when tightened.
This is one of my favorite posts from Sal. It will give you some insight to what I am trying to convey.
Nobody breaks it down like the Master. ;)
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6086.0
Life is Good!

Gfish

What's the type a material for the shims? Thanks ahead a time.
Gfish
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Shark Hunter

I use Brass.
Mcmaster Carr has many other options. Stainless, Aluminum, Copper, Plastic, Peel Away. You name it.
Life is Good!